Making Jam

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Making Jam

Postby johnfb » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:35 pm

Hi All

Does anyone make their own jam, and if so could you post you full and idiot proof recipe :D

Thanks in advance
John
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:53 pm

For what fruit John?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johnfb » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:26 pm

I was thinking strawberry to start, then anything else, Phil.

Also, can canned fruit be used instead of fresh???
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby grisell » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:00 pm

This is an excellent recipe for sloe jam. It's season now, so you might want to look for some?

http://uktv.co.uk/food/thread/threadid/10460
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby the chorizo kid » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:28 pm

well, i don't know the exact result you are looking for, but i have made jam/preserves from my orchard using peaches, mulberries, blackberries, sweet and sour cherries. i pick the fruit and put it in a big pot [peaches are sliced; the cherries are hand pitted using a big nail; the berries i just throw in] with a little water and then simmer it until it is thick and gooey. if it needed sweetening, i added sugar to taste. the mulberries needed no sugar; the sour cherries did. then i cooled it and put it into any old unsterilized jar; i used a flimsy sandwich bag over the top and added a rubber band to seal it. of course i stored it in the fridge. as far as i know, they lasted for almost 1/2 year without any signs of spoilage [i don't eat much jam and toast]. they were delicious. this is a recipe for organic jam/jelly. i'm not sure why people add pectin, as you can get this as thick as you want, adding sugat as necessary/desired for both sweetening and thickness.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:43 pm

Very timely grisell, I've got the sloes off my last years sloe gin to use up!

John, trust you, I hate making strawberry jam, I find it one of the hardest!

In all honesty, you've picked a lousy time to start, the main 'jam fruit' season's over. As to canned fruit - Pass!

I held of posting a reply as I have posted an item on my blog today about the 'Autumn Curd' (Well, OK, Marrow Curd) - this may be a good starting point - I believe it can also be made with pumpkin.

In the meantime, I hope someone else will explain the intricacies of strawberry jam (strawberries are low in pectin - hence possible problems). But most jams are some variation of 1:1 fruit to sugar. Cook fruit (if necessary), add sugar, melt sugar, bring to boil, boil till setting point reached, bottle. Dead easy in theory, but in my experience not always so easy in practice.

Mike D was a bit of a 'dab hand' at it! As is Ianinfrance by the look of it. (plus others no doubt)

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... hlight=jam

Phil

Added: Post crossed with the chorizo kid's
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Richierich » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:22 pm

Made strawberry jam last year, along with raspberry, don't ask for recipes, BBC food somewhere I think. If you buy jam sugar it has added pectin, had no problems, although the strawberry was a little runnier than the raspberry.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:13 pm

Thanks for all the help guys.

My local Supermarket is selling strawberrys cheaply right now and they are also selling "sureset" sugar for jam, it has apple pectin in it.
So I think I will give it a go on the back of my success at making pumpkin and apple chutney at the weekend.

Cheers again

John
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby Ryan C » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:14 pm

Hey John,

Here's an idiot proof method for strawberry jam. Its my mums secret recipe so whatever you do, don't let anyone else on the forum see it:wink:
As for using canned fruit, unless you've canned it yourself it seems like a very expensive way to make jam. To be honest, I don't know anything about canned fruit but as long as it doesn't contain extra water, sugar etc, it should be fine. If it does then just use a bit of common sense and adjust the recipe accordingly.

Strawberry jam

1kg fresh strawberries
1kg sugar
1 lemon
(really, that's all!)

1. Put strawberries into a large pot and partially mash with a potato masher (make sure it's the biggest pot you've got because as it cooks it will bubble up to quadruple its size, maybe more)
2. Add sugar and slowly heat stirring regularly.
3. As the temperature rises, the sugar will melt and the strawberries will release their juice. Keep stirring and bring to the boil.
4. Boil for 10 minutes before adding the juice of 1 lemon (It is the lemon juice that will help the jam to set so if you prefer a runny jam, don't add it and stop boiling now)
5. Boil for a further five minutes. Test the jams thickness by putting a spoonful onto a saucer, after 30 seconds, if it gets a skin it is ready. Boil longer if you prefer a very thick jam but I think it is perfect at this stage.

Good luck

Ryan
Ryan C
Registered Member

Postby Ryan C » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:37 pm

Should have said. Make sure you have clean, hot jars at the ready and fill them immediately. The longer you let your pot of jam cool, the thicker it will become and the more of it will stick to the sides of the pot instead of going into the jars.

All the best

Ryan
Ryan C
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:12 pm

Thanks Ryan, looks simple enough...even for me :lol: :wink:

think this is the recipe I could use
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:35 pm

Here are two other resources for you:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/p ... _usda.html

http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/pr ... club/7.php

Canning and jam making are another addictive hobby. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby johnfb » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:33 pm

NCPaul wrote:Here are two other resources for you:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/p ... _usda.html

http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/pr ... club/7.php

Canning and jam making are another addictive hobby. :D

I am getting the pickles and jams bug now for sure. my wife is going crazy, more equipment more taking over the kitchen, one cupboard full of empty pasta sauce jars and any other jars I can find,
She doesn't mind the ssausage and bacon but doesn't eat pickles and chutneys or jams so she isn't very impressed with this new venture.

Ahh well, she needs something new to moan and whine about :roll:

John
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby grisell » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:12 pm

johnfb wrote:
[---]
Ahh well, she needs something new to moan and whine about :roll:

John

Same here. My wife can't understand the necessity of having three refrigerators and two freezers in one apartment with two people... :roll:

She doesn't mind eating that ham, though.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:09 am

I told my wife about this thread and her comment was "consider all the things a husband could be doing." I am her second husband and the first one made things easy for me. :D I am at home making tasty things for her to enjoy; she'll gladly give me kitchen space.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Next

Return to Cookery in general