Chess cookies

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Chess cookies

Postby grisell » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:08 am

These cookies are a memory from my childhood (in the Stone Age :D). When I make them today, I'm still childishly delighted with them. One must use real butter.

25-30 pieces

200 g cold butter, in pieces
0.6 l/360 g wheat flour
0.1 l/80 g white sugar
50 ml cold water
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp vanilla sugar
3 tbsp cocoa powder+1 tbsp cold water.

Quickly chop together butter, flour, white sugar, water and egg yolk. Divide the crumbly dough in two equal parts. Mix one part with the vanilla sugar and the other with the cocoa and water. Knead each part separately until thoroughly mixed and pliable, not longer.

Divide each part in two parts and roll out to about 40 cm lengths. Put light beside dark and make a 2x2 chequered pattern (or divide each part in eight and make a 4x4 pattern). Press firmly into a square shape. Wrap in plastic foil and put in the refrigerator until firm (ca 1 hour).

Cut in 1 cm slices and place on a greased baking plate. Bake for 12-14 minutes at 200 C/400 F. Let cool on the plate.
Last edited by grisell on Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:00 am

Is this one of the cookies you give away at Christmas? I've seen similar ones layered and rolled and sliced to make what's called pinwheel cookies here. I usually give away about a dozen different types at Christmas, is this common where you live? It's becoming less common here though I maintain the tradition. Please send four for my morning coffee. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby grisell » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:44 am

Yes, that's one of the Christmas gifts. Cheap (less than £2 for one batch), appreciated and easy to make. I think you are right. This kind of cookies was more popular in the 60s and 70s. I recommend them. The contrast vanilla/chocolat is delicious. Also, it's interesting to note the enormous difference when using butter instead of marge as most patisseries do.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:53 am

Gorgeous looking cookies Grisell, can't agree more about the use of butter, and being a natural product, it has to be healthier than margarine!

Regards,
Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general