Arista alla fiorentina

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Arista alla fiorentina

Postby grisell » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:35 am

I seem to be in an Italian mood now. Lots of Italian dishes lately. Anyway, this is a classic. The method of wrapping it in back fat and rind is my invention though. This allows for longer cooking time, a more concentrated and aromatic gravy and a very tender and succulent meat.

2½ kilo of hind loin with the fillet and rind. Enough for six servings.

½ kilo back fat, a large piece of rind and 50 gram butter mixed with 3 cloves garlic, zest of a lemon, 1 tbsp fennel seeds, 1/4 tsp ground cloves, salt and pepper. A few sprigs of rosemary.

A pocket is cut along the bone and filled with the butter and a sprig of rosemary. The leaner part of the meat is covered with lard and the remaining rosemary. Everything is wrapped in the rind and tied with kitchen cord.

The steak is cooked in a 200 C/390 F oven to an internal temperature of 65 C/150 F for medium (70 C/160 F for well done). This can take three hours(!). It should be frequently turned and ladled with the gravy. Half a bottle of white wine and a little water goes into the pan (though non-traditional, I have found that dry cider is excellent instead of wine!). When ready, the steak should be wrapped in aluminum foil to rest while one prepares the sauce and potatoes.

The gravy, which has acquired an immensely deep color and high concentration due to the long cooking time, is carefully degreased, further reduced, seasoned with salt and pepper if necessary and discretely thickened with just a little arrowroot. A drop of lemon rounds off.

The steak is unwrapped, the rind and back fat is discarded and the meat is carved. Served with a little gravy and e.g. baked potato halves and green beans. More gravy à part. If cider was used in the sauce, baked apples make a delicious garnish (these can be placed in the gravy pan during the last hour of cooking).
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:40 am

Next time I will season it with only salt and pepper and use cider and apples. Maybe a dash of calvados and crème fraîche in the sauce. Then it's not Italian anymore, of course.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general