Anybody got a good recipe for liver pate

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Anybody got a good recipe for liver pate

Postby Oddley » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:09 pm

I like a nice bit of liver pate and really fancy making some. So is anybody willing to divulge a nice tried and trusted recipe. Cheers!
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:02 pm

Hi Oddley, I'll dig out my recipe for you when I get home but have made a sausage where 40% of the pork meat was replaced with pig's liver, finely minced (actually it looked like a puree!) It was a bit of a sloppy texture and took a little more rusk than normal but what a beautiful flavour! Rich, moist and very moreish. Not a breakfast sausage, but excellent in the evening.
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:07 pm

I'm home now, so here's the liver pate that I currently use, which was adapted from Hugh F-W.

1 lb liver (I prefer pig but calf is OK)
1/2 lb pork belly
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
chopped sage, thyme
pinch mace, nutmeg, black pepper salt
GOOD splash red wine or brandy (enough to give it the consistency of cement!)
6-8 rashers streaky bacon to line the dish, ramekin, etc

Prepare liver by cutting out any coarse veins, etc and put it, the pork and the onion through a food processor to suit your tastes - I don't like it too fine.
Add the other ingredients and mix well. You could add more wine (not too much brandy) or breadcrumbs to adjust the consistency.

Grease the terrine dish (about 1 litre in size - I got some old pate dishes from the supermarket but that was over 10 years ago), etc with butter or lard. Stretch the bacon with the back of a knife and line the dish leaving enough to overlap the mixture on top. Add the mixture and cover with the bacon. (You can be really flash and place some juniper berries and /or bay leaves UNDER the bacon, between it and the dish - looks good when turned out!)

Cover with greased foil and place in a bain marie in an oven (170 degrees C Mark 3 for an hour. Check to see if it has come away from the sides and is firm to the touch. It may need 10 - 15 minutes longer.

Allow to cool in the dish, refrigerate and turn out when chilled.

Some crusty bread, a jug of wine, a thick slice of pate... paradise enow!

Let me know how it turns out. I haven't made one for a while now and think I will make a couple this weekend. Hope the weather stays warm enough to enjoy it under a tree!
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:20 pm

Thanks Hobbitfeet, as soon as I can persuade one of my daughters to go and get the stuff I'll make it. I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers!
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby TobyB » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:43 pm

Had a terrine on Sat which had used very finely sliced Chorizo instead of bacon to line the terrine. I thought it was a very good idea (lots of people don't like the bacon (Please note I'm not one of those people) as it looks too fatty) and delicious as well.

[chorizo idea with thanks to the chef at the Lygon Arms in (I think) Worcestershire]
TobyB
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general