fluffy grey mould

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

fluffy grey mould

Postby BillyT » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:43 am

Hi all,

I made some salami 2 weeks ago and have been hanging them in a converted fridge that I think has enough air flow. The humidity is around 80% and the temp ranges from 5C to 10C. I'm still new to all this, but I did notice that white mould appeared much faster than my previous (first) batch. I thought that maybe there were still some spores from the previous batch lingering in the fridge.

Anyway, the nice white mould pretty quickly turned a dark, khaki green with patches of a very fluffy grey mould. Here are some pics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhwatx2bh9nxc ... 3.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zyou7rbye2gt6 ... 2.jpg?dl=0

Are they fine? Are they ruined? Should I remove the netting and wipe them down with a vinegar solution?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bill
BillyT
Registered Member

Re: fluffy grey mould

Postby NCPaul » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:31 am

I would wipe them down. You didn't mention using a mold culture so I'm assuming you just have wild mold from your location. Most molds are not toxic but I personally don't care for them.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby BillyT » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:35 am

OK thanks - I'll try that. And yes I should have mentioned I did use this starter culture - https://sausagesmadesimple.com.au/colle ... -culture-2

You just sprinkle a bit onto the mix before stuffing.

Thanks again
BillyT
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:43 pm

Starter culture and mold culture are different things. Here's how you can create a mold culture with an acceptable strain of mold if you want.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8561
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby BillyT » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:37 pm

Thanks - I will definitely try that for the next batch. Do you start your salami at the 20-30 degree C as mentioned in that post?
BillyT
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:01 am

BillyT wrote:Hi all,

I made some salami 2 weeks ago and have been hanging them in a converted fridge that I think has enough air flow. The humidity is around 80% and the temp ranges from 5C to 10C.

You need to drop the humidity down to 75% -- I run 2c to 3c on temperature and 75% humidity -- the reason for the green mould (and its no biggie) is that there is too much moisture within your unit

Are they fine? Are they ruined? Should I remove the netting and wipe them down with a vinegar solution?

they are fine, just wipe down with a dry cloth or use a soft nylon brush on them ....... myself I just leave until ready :)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BillyT » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:08 am

That's a relief - thanks. I have struggled with humidity. I have a humidifier to raise it but haven't found a good way to lower it. Would a bigger outlet fan on the fridge to increase airflow help? Any other suggestions?

Thanks again
BillyT
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:59 am

BillyT wrote:That's a relief - thanks. I have struggled with humidity. I have a humidifier to raise it but haven't found a good way to lower it.

Never had to drop the humidity myself as I run a constant 75% and if I need to raise it a shallow pan with water and salt dose the trick, so reversing the process if you was to place a pan/tray of salt in the chamber the salt would in fact pull the moisture (humidity) out of the air -- worth a try

Would a bigger outlet fan on the fridge to increase airflow help?

Fans are the worst thing in a curing chamber as they can be the cause of things drying too quick and also causing "case hardening" which is where the outside of the meat you are drying dries far quicker than the middle thus trapping the moisture within the meat :(
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BillyT » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:47 am

Interesting. I have a small fan to create a bit of air movement - I try not to point this directly at the salami. I also have a tiny computer fan acting an an outlet for the fridge just to get some fresh air coming through.

I'll try the salt tray.

Thanks again
BillyT
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:53 pm

I agree fully with Brican about fans. I've written before about my experiences with them. Even very small fans <25mm (<1 inch) caused case hardening when I used them.

Trays of salt or moist salt will reduce humidity, as will having a heat source that switches on when the humidity is high. This works by making the fridge switch the motor on which has the effect of reducing the humidity.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BillyT » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:00 am

Thanks Phil. I've purchased some silica gel and added a heat mat to the fridge so hopefully the humidity will be under control soon. I'll also turn the fan off now! ;)
BillyT
Registered Member

Return to Beginners