pre tubed sheep casing question

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

pre tubed sheep casing question

Postby Eskimo Joe » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:56 pm

I got some sheep casings from Syracuse Casing Co. that came salted and on a flexible plastic tube for easier loading I guess. My question, other than soaking in water and rinsing off the salt, do I need to take these off the tube and flush them and then put them on my stuffing tube or do I just slide this tube on my tube and then transfer them to my tube all together? this is what I got. http://www.makincasing.com/x/product.php?productid=10&cat=10&page=1 this is the first time I have used this type and they are soaking in water now so I hope someone can help me out soon as I have to get these stuffed tonight.

Thanks
Eskimo Joe
Registered Member

Re: pre tubed sheep casing question

Postby vagreys » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:02 am

I use the tubed hog casing from Syracuse. i thoroughly rinse the casing, on the tube, under running cool water. Then i let them soak at least 15 minutes, and they're good to go. i don't take them off the tube to flush them. I do squeeze slightly on the edges of the tube to make a 'trough' between the tubing and the casing, and run cool water between the casing and the tube, on both sides. They stay on the tubs until i slide them onto the stuffer tubes. Very easy. Very fast. Only a tiny bit of fiddling with the casing ends, because of the way the ends are folded on the tube.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Re: pre tubed sheep casing question

Postby onewheeler » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:06 pm

I've been fiddling around with some hog casings on formers recently, not being sure how to handle them. I like to make sure they're rinsed on the inside to help them slide off the stuffing tube.

The method which works for me is to soak them on the former, adding a pinch of sodium bicarbonate at the end to help them slide. Then pull off a metre or so, put the end onto the stuffing tube, and pour some of the soaking liquid (with bicarb) into the end of the stuffing tube. Run it through the casing and plastic former back into the soaking water, and slide that metre of casing onto the stuffing tube. Repeat until it's all transferred.

The casing slides off very easily this way, and it's less tangle-prone than taking the casing completely off the plastic former and running fluid through it.

Having run out of soaked casing earlier this week mid-stuffing, I managed to get a fresh casing ready using this method in only ten minutes. Sheep casing might tear unless soaked a little longer.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Return to Beginners