Green Mold Duck Breast

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Green Mold Duck Breast

Postby anedand » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:48 pm

Hi guys,

Found a pretty significant batch of green mold on a duck breast I started at the end of January. Didn't notice any evidence of mold on Monday when I weighed it last. Should I open in up and see if I can spot treat it, or should I just bin it?

Appreciate the feedback.

anedand
Registered Member

Re: Green Mold Duck Breast

Postby saucisson » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:53 pm

I'd open it up, but it doesn't look very promising :(
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby anedand » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:15 pm

So I just seasoned this and did a 24 hour salt cure, wrapped in cheese cloth and hung:
Image'

Should I not dry duck near other meats (coppa and breasaola) with active (white) mold - I have a bresaola that is especially moldy right now:

anedand
Registered Member

Postby anedand » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:20 pm

*The duck is only at 16% loss right now.
anedand
Registered Member

Postby anedand » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:00 pm

Any suggestions on how to avoid this in the future is appreciated. I've read recipes for duck prosciutto that are dried in the refrigerator, since I've got a controlled chamber, that seemed pointless to me.

I've also seen some some people who roll and tie the breast so the fat is on the outside, which makes some sense to me now that I see there was no mold on the fat, just the muscle side. Not sure.

I scrubbed the breast with some red wine vinegar and patted it dry with a clean paper towel - looks fine, but I'm not sure if it's worth continuing with this one:

anedand
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:44 am

I would myself carry on ... green mould is alright, do as you have done .. wipe off .. I would not wrap in cheesecloth at all

I have some Bresaola that has been drying since the beginning of November .. it too has green mold .. no biggie .. it is also cased in beef casing

But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Return to Beginners