Back fat

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Back fat

Postby andrewe84 » Fri May 13, 2016 9:53 pm

This might be a daft question but.. The skin that comes with a joint, the bit that makes good crackling, can this be used as a source of fat in sausages?
andrewe84
Registered Member

Re: Back fat

Postby NCPaul » Sun May 15, 2016 10:54 am

The skin can be used in sausage but not as fat. The way I've used it is to first boil it for 60-90 minutes until it can be pierced with a knife, then after cooling, grind three times before adding to the sausage mince. Another way to use it is to make a rind emulsion by combining cooked skin, back fat and water in a bowl chopper. This video shows the resulting rind emulsion before it gets run through some type of high speed disperser. Note that they keep it very cold through this process.
phpBB [video]

A third way is to process the cooked skin with 10 % ice or stock in a bowl chopper (food processor for most of us) to form "skin-block", in German, schwartenblock. The skin is made of a protein called collagen which contains some gelatin. It gives the sausage a very "meaty" mouthfeel in my opinion and should help with water retention. It has very little nutritional value. It has a low cost, so it's use before labeling standards was probably much greater. As a starting point, I would suggest 5 % to a sausage to get a sense of it's effect.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Back fat

Postby wheels » Sun May 15, 2016 12:47 pm

Great post NCPaul. I've used it, but it's nicer made in to scratchings/chicharron IMO.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Beginners