Spuddly's easy Salami

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Spuddly's easy Salami

Postby fusion555 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:09 pm

Im looking to make my first Salami and like the look and simplicity of Spuddly's easy recipe.

I do have a question or 2 and im certain i will have more as i move along.

So first question
Spuddly suggests temp and RH of 8-18C at 55-70%RH to dry and mature, thats a nice wide margin but what is the "optimal" temp and rh?

Colin
fusion555
Registered Member

Re: Spuddly's easy Salami

Postby wheels » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:02 pm

12°C is good for me. For RH? Start high and gradually reduce if possible, but 70% - 80% would be my optimum.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby fusion555 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:00 pm

Thanks for the reply Phil
Next questions, will the chamber RH increase when i put something in it, ie some Salami?
Empty the chamber is sitting at an RH of 61 with the temp at 11C, im presuming i will go up when i put something in it, am i right? either way it seems its a Humidifier i will need first.

Colin
fusion555
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:03 pm

Yes, the RH will increase massively when you put product in to it. I'd try it before you buy a humidifier (assuming that you can get one pretty quickly if needs be).

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby fusion555 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:28 pm

wheels wrote:Yes, the RH will increase massively when you put product in to it. I'd try it before you buy a humidifier (assuming that you can get one pretty quickly if needs be).

Phil

Yes Phil, i have one spotted a a local store, its an Ultrasonic unit.
I have visitors from UK at the min so earliest try will be next week, the visitors brought Rusk and supaphos so ill be making fresh Cumberland first which is what i have been craving.
fusion555
Registered Member

Return to Beginners