soppressota mixture consistancy looks like balogna

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

soppressota mixture consistancy looks like balogna

Postby lou317 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:44 pm

This is the last batch in my sausage making career if this turns out to be another disaster.

Used UMAI casings ,culture, ingredients ,and directions ,when I started to fill the casing the meat came out and it had a muddy consistancy.
The proccedure was as follows :I ground the meat while partially frozen used all the ingredients , properly mixed and weighed every thing I then stuck it in refrigerator over night. next day stuffed casing and the result were the baloney like consistancy . placed in oven to bloom 24-36 hours then I will let it mature in refrigerator at 39-41 degrees and 50% H as the directions call for.

WTH : Can somebody please tell me what did I do wrong this time
lou317
Registered Member

Re: soppressota mixture consistancy looks like balogna

Postby BriCan » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:04 am

lou317 wrote:This is the last batch in my sausage making career if this turns out to be another disaster.

Used UMAI casings ,culture, ingredients ,and directions ,when I started to fill the casing the meat came out and it had a muddy consistancy.
The proccedure was as follows :I ground the meat while partially frozen used all the ingredients , properly mixed and weighed every thing I then stuck it in refrigerator over night. next day stuffed casing and the result were the baloney like consistancy . placed in oven to bloom 24-36 hours then I will let it mature in refrigerator at 39-41 degrees and 50% H as the directions call for.

WTH : Can somebody please tell me what did I do wrong this time

What is the actual recipe (weights of meat and spices ect) as a starting point to help you :)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby lou317 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:07 am

The pork butt weighed 5.1 lbs , I used the soppressata spice blend with the sea salt,and prague#2 but this was the first time I used Bactoferm T-SPX starter culture . Every thing was very cold some partially frozen then mixed well ... but used a comb grinder /stuffer.
lou317
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:56 pm

How long did you dry the sausage and what was the weight loss?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby lou317 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:46 pm

It is just the first week of drying , I first let them bloom in an unused oven for 36 hours and they all evenly lost about .4 grams . Now they are in a refrigerator on racks at the top where the temp is app.41-43F with 60% RH.

By the looks of them it will be about 6 weeks to dry . It is in a 32mm casing or app.1" diameter.

thanks
lou317
Registered Member

Postby herjac » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:49 pm

Hi Lou,

You are making salami in a fashion that is not familiar here. I had to look up UMAI and see what they instructed you to do. The use of the UMAI casing changes the usual temperature/humidity parameters used with natural casing so you need to be following their methodology which you seem to be doing as far as what needs to be done after stuffing.

They suggested using a dedicated stuffer which is preferred. You used a grinder to stuff which contributed to the finer texture of the mix. Using a grinder to stuff through a small stuffing tube might slow the throughput such that the mix was being turned to mush by the auger. Been there, done that. Did you use a spacer instead of the cutting plate? Have you made fresh sausage before with this setup? Same result?

Let us know the results of your UMAI experience.

Herb
herjac
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:56 pm

That time frame sounds good for a dry cured sausage.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby lou317 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:34 pm

Hi Lou,

"They suggested using a dedicated stuffer which is preferred. You used a grinder to stuff which contributed to the finer texture of the mix. Using a grinder to stuff through a small stuffing tube might slow the throughput such that the mix was being turned to mush by the auger."

The auger did exactly that.!!! Yes a spacer was used . Just weighed a few sticks and I get a weight loss of app 8% after 4 days . This stuff might have a chance after all.This will be my 4th try at this,the first was too salty the second came out pretty good but was a little hard and needed more fat ,the third I had to shitcan because of case hardening. I thought it would help to let it bloom in an air conditioned room with a small fan blowing on it ...DISASTER.

Also ordered a vertical stuffer from amazon .!!
thanks for all the advice
louie
lou317
Registered Member

Return to Beginners