Rusk and water

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Rusk and water

Postby wildpig » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:04 am

A beginner’s question.
In the pdf, “Sausage making for beginners” a basic format is given for sausage making,
80% pork
2.5% Seasoning
6.5% Rusk and
11% water.
In this pdf and on this site, recipes are given with and without rusk. Should one consider rusk to be used in all recipes or only those that specifically call for it?

I imagine the answer would be the same for the use of water.
wildpig
Newly Registered

Re: Rusk and water

Postby NCPaul » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:54 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D The use of rusk and water is traditional for some recipes but is by no means required for a home based maker. I find for some sausages it improves texture and can help bind liquid. Some recipes use other things for the same purposes. I would suggest trying it (though I would decrease the water slightly) so that you know the effects it creates. Likewise with the use of water (or other liquids), you may find some mixes improved while others are not. The sausagemaker was giving a generalized example of a British banger type, IIRC.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Rusk and water

Postby wildpig » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:26 am

Thank you for the advise, I'd rather know now than after numerous pounds of pork.
wildpig
Newly Registered

Return to Beginners