Intro and advice please

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Intro and advice please

Postby Gizo » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:57 pm

I was a chef but now cook for me, I have tried making sausages without any great success, I used to have a cheap electric mincer that just smeared the meat no matter what I did, so I threw it in the bin and bought a manual mincer size #20
I have just been hunting and got two deer so my latest and best attempt was venison sausages. This was my best effort yet but still not right. I used
2.5kg lean venison (frozen)
1kg pork belly(this pork belly was not very fatty)(frozen)
1kg pork fat
250ml milk
Spices
Collagen skins

They turned out flavour wise good (still want to tweak my spices, but made two different flavours). But they were slightly dry pretty meaty, and the skins split when cooking.

I have just read Richards sausage making guide and think I can see a couple of issues.

1. meat had been frozen and ground while still to frozen, ground twice through a 8mm plate
2. I was very careful with keeping everything cool, had issues using mincer for filling, had to end up using a cheap plastic tiny mincer with a bigger sausage funnel, and meat may have got a bit warm then.
3. No rusk, i have seen sausage meal is this the same?
4. More liquid needed
5. I mixed by hand (ok I think) but only enough to absorb milk, mixing longer would have made a smoother texture?
6. Casing splitting, filled to tight? Next time will use hog casings.

I have purchased a small sausage filler for next batch.

Any advice appreciated

Tim
Gizo
Registered Member

Re: Intro and advice please

Postby NCPaul » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:17 am

Welcome to the forum. :D
1. The meat should be almost frozen, it will feel dry to the touch. I personally like to salt the meat the night before as well.
2. The sausage stuffer is the way to go.
3. Probably. You can make sausage with or without. In the recipe you've given, I'd use 170 g.
4. That amount should be fine, was the sausage mix very stiff?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Gizo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:47 am

The meat had been in the freezer for a few weeks, I was not ready to make sausage earlier.
The sausage was pretty stiff, I could not get it through a 10mm funnel so had to use a larger funnel I a small plastic grinder, I had to use my hands to push it through which may have warmed the meat up.

Am I understanding mixing the meat correctly, if you mix the meat longer you get a smoother firmer sausage?

Would using filler or rusk given a smoother texture

Thanks for the help,

Tim
Gizo
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:30 pm

You mix sausage to extract a thing called myosin in the meat. Adding the salt the day before will do the same thing. The meat will visibly change and become more sticky when it's mixed enough. It will even smell slightly different.

It's then sausagemeat rather than mince with spices.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Gizo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:33 pm

Ok so I think i needed more mixing,
I have a friend who said to use half cooked rice instead of rusk would this work or is rusk better.

Tim
Gizo
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:17 pm

Rice, rusk, breadcrumb - they all have their place. Rice would generally be used fully/over cooked. Maybe 3 times water to rice by volume brought to a boil slowly whilst stirring and then cooked for 25 mins or so.

The water ratio changes accordingly. Use 1.5 water to 1 rusk.1 to 1 water to breadcrumb. And no added water with rice (unless necessary).

None of these fillers will affect the development of myosin, so you can take your pick.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby montanaSalami » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:02 pm

I've made Venison Sausages and Salami, and I don't care for it. When you try pork or a pork/beef sausage, I suspect you will be more pleased with the results.
montanaSalami
Registered Member

Return to Beginners