Kabanos

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Kabanos

Postby ace202 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:03 pm

am new at this sausage making stuff. Yeah, you see what I did there lol

anyway, looking to make those very flavorful Polish meat sticks called kabanos or Kabanosy. All the recipes I am seeing, they use the 18 to 22 mm natural sheep casings. The sausages available in the store are about the diaeter of a pencil. I am thinking the 18 to 22mm casings way too big. any suggestions? I am assuming the commercial sausages are even in a casing. how else would they retain the shape?

commercially there are the thin ones about a pencil thickness, but also some that are about half inch diameter. am really looking to make the thin ones. so any help appreciated
ace202
Newly Registered

Re: Kabanos

Postby wheels » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:26 pm

Welcome. Don't forget that the casings shrink along with the meat when you dry an air dried sausage.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:45 am

It's very difficult to stuff very narrow casings by hand due to the back pressure that develops, even more for more than five pound batches. I've seen casings down to 16 mm but haven't seen a stuffing tube that narrow. The sheep casing are what's traditional.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:24 pm

I have a 10mm tube that I got made by a friend who was an engineer. As you say, it worked better on a 5lb stuffer than my 15lb one. We use 18/20 sheep's casings for cocktail sausages.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Beginners