should I start

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

should I start

Postby brownclown » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:40 pm

Hi,
Brand new to the sausage making world and am debating taking the plunge but have a few issues that hopefully some of you may be able to help. Currently im conflicted on the price I want to spend on a grinder. im either looking at a Cabelas carnivore .75 (399$) or 1hp(499$). or an stx turboforce 2 from amazon (200$). Im leaning toward the Cabelas as they better quality and have a lifetime warranty but remain undecided if that's worth the extra money. I will use the grinder for both raw dog food feeding and sausage making but not sure on if worth it on the sausage side. I am an avid whitetail hunter and usually take about 3 or 4 deer a year. I have been having my meat processed by a butcher who has a few sausage options that i have liked. I have had Italian, summer, pepperoni, bologna and loved them and what started my journey here. I have seen they basically have an endless amount of kits available with virtually endless possibilities. The problem im finding with these is their ingredients . My diet is paleo "ish" and im pretty strict with some aspects, but it basically means I eat Fruits, Vegetables, Nuts and seeds, meat, Fish, Oils from fruits and nuts. I dont eat Grains, Legumes, beans, lentils, Dairy products, Refined sugar, Potatoes, soy, or highly processed foods. All of these kits seem to be loaded with sugar, MSG or other products i would like to avoid. In my initial reading, Im seeing DIY sausage needs Rusk, breadcrumbs, rice, oatmeals, soy proteins or other fillers which i dont eat. Is there enough DIY sausage recipes that don't require these fillers and or sugar that i would be able to make to justify needing a better grinder? Is there many sausages out that will fit my diet? thanks
brownclown
Newly Registered

Re: should I start

Postby NCPaul » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:22 am

Welcome to the forum. :D Recipes that have fillers in them can be made without them. The taste and texture will change be it will still be a sausage. The only case in which I would not consider this is when dextrose is used with a starter culture. In this case, the dextrose is used as food for the culture and the dextrose is converted to lactic acid.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: should I start

Postby DanMcG » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:51 am

None of the ingredients you mentioned are necessary, and some of the best sausages are merely meat, salt and pepper.
As far as choosing a grinder goes, you really need to size it to the amount of meat you'll be grinding. the $200 one you mention won't hold up long grinding 50-100 lbs at a time, and the 1hp with a #22 plate would be overkill if you're only doing 5 lb batches.
You should also consider a stuffer. Stuffing sausage with a grinder is not the best.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Return to Beginners