Newbie question

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Newbie question

Postby dopp creek » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:56 pm

Hello All-

First, let me thank you for being a bunch of fun people who want to make folks happy with good food. I have enjoyed reading-the posts and the helpful attitude displayed. I tried to make polish sausage several years ago and while it tasted good, it lacked "presentation". After reading all the information on this site I realize what I did wrong and am looking forward to trying again.
My "machine" is a Traeger pellet grill and it is not possible to control it to start at 120 and incrementally increase the heat 10 degrees per hour as most recommend. I have a thought for a work-around and would like your opinions. I have cold-smoked using the Amazin (stainless steel mesh box/tube filled with pellets) device; it seems to get my chamber up around 90 degrees. Assuming I am starting with stuffed and air-dried links, could I hang them in the Traeger for 3+ hours with the Amazin device producing smoke and then poach them in water on the stove? I could incrementally raise the temp of the water bath and then when my IT hits 154, hit them with a cold water bath. Would I get my smoky flavor? I'm trying to figure this out without adding another machine around here. Thanks for the help!
dopp creek
Registered Member

Re: Newbie question

Postby NCPaul » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:43 am

Welcome to the forum. :D Smoking followed by poaching works fine; be sure your Polish recipe has some cure #1 in it.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Newbie question

Postby DanMcG » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:00 am

It should work fine like Paul already said, I just wanted to add that you want to keep your water bath around 170 or under so you don't render the fat.
Good luck and let us know how it works out.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Return to Beginners