burgers

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby Rik vonTrense » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:45 pm

The sticky weed will not let me get to my greenhouse even keeping to the path it completely envelopes me before halfway there and it is a battle with the stinging nettles at six to seven feet high to get back..............

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:45 pm

It seems to me, some nettle soup might be in order. I absolutely love nettle soup, just can't get the nettles.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:48 am

Please share with the recipe then............

Maybe I can sell some on a stall outside the burned out garage as I am still getting rubberneckers arriving by the coachload.............

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:33 am

It's been years since I have made nettle soup. I always take the freehand approach to soup making. I usually make a good stock vegetable in this case using the likes of carrot, onion, leeks, and a bouquet garnie of celery, bay, parsley etc. Then load's of nettles the young ones are best.

The reason I like nettle soup is, the nettle has a very delicate taste, but be careful if I remember correctly no matter what I used to protect myself, I was always stung.

Perhaps your burning garage is a good business opportunity. Start conducting guided tours with the harrowing story of your escape and a light lunch thrown in (nettle soup) for �2.50 a head... :D

Sorry to hear about that btw and glad you and your's are OK.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:15 am

The moor behind my house is overrun with nettles - you are welcome to come and help yourself :-)
aris
Site Admin

Postby Wohoki » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:11 am

Nettles are nice if you treat the top-shoots like spinach. Particularly good steamed, squeezed dry and chopped, then mashed with spuds, salt and pepper and lots of butter heated in some milk.

For nettle soup just substitute the spinach in a spinach soup, but the flavour is a little less rubust, so use a light veg or chicken stock.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:29 am

Thanks for the offer aris. But if there ain't concrete beneath my boots I'm not happy.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:31 am

Maybe Aris could start an small business shipping weed to London, I hear there's good money in it :lol:
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:36 am

I've been stung like that before!... :D
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:43 am

Haven't we all (actually probably not, but I prefer to see my vegetable matter before I cough-up these days, particularly when it's, ahem, nettles :? )
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:20 pm

I lost the battle...
Got halfway across the jungle and the drive shaft on the strimmer snapped. All the local garden centres seem to concentrate on scented candles and crystal rose vases these days, not a decent strimmer to be had anywhere.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Rik vonTrense » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:55 pm

Sometime ago I read that nettles only grow where humans had done something or the other and I can't remember what it was now......

anyone know what it is ???
Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:01 pm

Forgotten to do the weeding?:)

I know that the makers of Cornish Yarg cheese (which has nettles on the rind) tried to cultivate the nettles they use and gave up as they just wouldn't grow where they wanted them to grow so they just have to rely on the wild ones growing around them. So maybe the answer is "not tried to grow them"

Do you know?
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Ken D » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:23 pm

Sidebar: in lieu of a dedicated patty maker, you can always give this a try: using about a Kilo (more or less, depending on how many patties you want, of prepared mince, make all the balls, but leave them in the same bowl you did the prep in !!
Next, take a sheet of ordinary waxed apaper, about 1/2 a meter long, more or less.
Place a ball of mince at the halfway point of the paper, fold over, and whack it with the bowl of balls. The flat, round part of the mixing bowlmakes a nice patty.
Depending on how big the patty balls are, how hard you come down, determines the thickess, and diameter of the patty.
This method keeps the dish count low, and the counter top clean, as you toss the paper, and wash the bowl.
Works for me, your mileage may vary.
Rock on....Kennie Dee
Ken D
Registered Member

Postby georgebaker » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:30 pm

Hi
Rik said
Sometime ago I read that nettles only grow where humans had done something or the other and I can't remember what it was now......

anyone know what it is ???

Yes, I do but I am not sure you really want the answer. Request a PM if you are serious

George
georgebaker
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners