burgers

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby aussieinor » Thu May 29, 2008 1:38 pm

I've used this recipe a few times and absolutely love it.

I haven't been able to find any onion salt so I've left it out completely, I have added a small amount of garlic salt however not much.

What would be a good replacement as I can't find onion salt?
aussieinor
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Thu May 29, 2008 1:56 pm

You could try onion powder (if you can get it) as the salt content of onion salt is negligible when you look at the mix as a whole. Failing that maybe dried onion granules.

Or make your own:
finely slice or chop a baking tray full of fresh onions and dry out in a warm oven until completely shrivelled and crisp (12-24 hours or so) then whizz up in a food processor into fine granules.
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby lemonD » Thu May 29, 2008 4:16 pm

Have a look here re:Onion Salt http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-onion-salt.htm I was curious about seasoning salts.

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby Buckskin » Thu May 29, 2008 7:51 pm

I probably missed this some where in the thread, but how much meat is Odley's spice mix for?

Thanks,
Buckskin
Buckskin
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Thu May 29, 2008 7:59 pm

Hi Buckskin.

As you can see the following spice mix 39 g, will do for 2532 g of meat, at a usage rate of 1.54% of the meat weight.

I wrote:Spice mix
30 g - 30 parts salt
4 g - 4 parts black pepper
2 g - 2 parts Sweet smoked paprika
2 g - 2 part onion salt
1 g - 1 part cumin seed powder
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat May 31, 2008 3:53 pm

I now have onion salt, so to celebrate the last day of summer, we are having Bonza Burgers tonight :D

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Spuddy » Sat May 31, 2008 9:15 pm

saucisson wrote:so to celebrate the last day of summer

Have I missed summer again? :shock: :shock:
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Lee » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:26 pm

Got to make some burgers for a family BBQ at the weekend, and this recipe sounds the business, however, am I reading it right, is that about 0.5g cumin per kg beef??
Already salivating, Cheers!
Lee
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:43 pm

Yes, you make up the 39g (1g cumin) and use 15.4g per kilo beef so 0.395g cumin.

We had a burger shoot out at the weekend, Oddley's Bonza Burgers versus Dr Dave's Special, I had high hopes that Oddley's recipe would do well against the family favourite.

It was a bit dissapointing really as Oddley only won 5 - 0. I include myself in the 5.

My wife at least had the good grace to apologise, "sorry Dave, I have to say, but nice as yours are, these ones of Oddley's are much nicer, they're delicious....

the children were too busy stuffing themselves on Oddley's, so the vote was carried by a landslide. :lol: :lol:

If you are worried that younger palates might be put off by the spices, they are so subtle and well balanced that they purely enhance the flavour of the meat, my children didn't notice them. What was even more interesting was that they (aged 4 to 13) don't normally like burgers with onion in, but they didn't notice it was there. :D

Dr Dave's Special, for what it's worth (sob...) is a straight meat burger with a touch of salt and pepper and a small dash of Worcestershire sauce.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Lee » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:02 pm

Cheers Dave, that's what I thought,very subtle, almost homeopathic doses of spice :D Glad to hear thet it enhances the meat flavour only, will save the head bashing spice hit for my black pudding, stilton and lime pickle sassages (that I'm still waiting for one of you guys to try out and tell me if I'm crazy or not) :D
Lee
Registered Member

Postby Buckskin » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:09 am

Nice job Oddley! Added a touch of garlic powder, but otherwise as you prescribed. Excellent burger with all of my family enjoying. :D
Buckskin
Registered Member

And now for something completely different

Postby Ianinfrance » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:22 pm

I'm definitely going to give Oddley's burger recipe a go, especially with the success I had following his Polly Perkins sausage.

However in the meantime. This is a recipe I've invented NOT using beef.

Duckburgers

3 duck magrets; fat and lean separated
3 large shallots finely chopped
12 sprigs parsley
6 sprigs marjoram
1/2 ts salt
plenty fgbp

The lean duck meat weighed 850 gms so I made it up to about a kilo with the fat I'd stripped off. (more or less all the fat from 2 of the magrets).

Cut meat and fat into cubes and mince finely once. Put into a bowl /added later/ and store in the fridge until needed.

May be prepared ahead to here.

About 3/4 hour before serving, add seasonings to meat, and mix well by hand. Shape into about 12 round balls each weighing approx 85 gms. Pat these out into burgers and place on layering plastic/waxed paper on trays in the fridge.

10 mins before serving. Heat frying pans and film with a little oil or duck fat. Heat over moderate to high heat, and when really hot place in the burgers. Fry till browned about 3-4 minutes a side. Dish and serve.

Alternatively these burgers could be grilled or griddled or BBQed.

I think these are about as good as any I've eaten so far.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:14 am

fgbp Ian?

Fibrinogen Binding Protein?
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby saucisson » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:01 am

I struggled too :lol: but eventually:

FGBP Freshly Ground Black Pepper (culinary)
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Spuddy » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:18 pm

Ahh yes, of course. :oops:
Spuddy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners