american style beef franks

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

american style beef franks

Postby leeroy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:59 pm

I am looking to aquire a beef frankfurter supply like what they sell on the hot dog carts in the usa (vienna beef, sabretts, hebrew national). I am in the uk and I have looked all over the place to get them to sell on my hot dog cart as an alternative from the usual pork hot dogs that are available here. I have even thought about making them myself but i am unsure of what i will need as i have never even made a sausage before. If there is a guide to making these kind of sausages i would be grateful or if you know of where i can get my hands on some please let me know thanks
leeroy
Registered Member

Postby scotty » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:24 pm

Im just getting ready to make this one.

Homemade Frankfurters (Hot Dogs)
Ingredients
3 feet sheep or small (1-1/2-inch diameter) hog casings
1 pound lean pork, cubed
3/4 pound lean beef, cubed
1/4 pound pork fat, cubed
1/4 cup very finely minced onion
1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon finely ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard seed
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon freshly fine ground white pepper
1 egg white
1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 cup milk

Instructions
Prepare the casings (see instructions below). In a blender or food processor, make a puree of the onion, garlic, coriander, marjoram, mace, mustard seed, and paprika. Add the pepper, egg white, sugar, salt, and milk and mix thoroughly. Grind the pork, beef, and fat cubes through the fine blade separately. Mix together and grind again. Mix the seasonings into the meat mixture with your hands. This tends to be a sticky procedure, so wet your hands with cold water first.

Chill the mixture for half and hour then put the mixture thorough the fine blade of the grinder once more. Stuff the casings and twist them off into six-inch links. Parboil the links (without separating them) in gently simmering water for 20 minutes. Place the franks in a bowl of ice water and chill thoroughly. Remove, pat dry, and refrigerate. Because they are precooked, they can be refrigerated for up to a week or they can be frozen.

Preparing the Casing
Snip off about four feet of casing. (Better too much than too little because any extra can be repacked in salt and used later.) Rinse the casing under cool running water to remove any salt clinging to it. Place it in a bowl of cool water and let it soak for about half an hour. While you're waiting for the casing to soak, you can begin preparing the meat as detailed below. After soaking, rinse the casing under cool running water. Slip one end of the casing over the faucet nozzle. Hold the casing firmly on the nozzle, and then turn on the cold water, gently at first, and then more forcefully. This procedure will flush out any salt in the casing and pinpoint any breaks. Should you find a break, simply snip out a small section of the casing. Place the casing in a bowl of water and add a splash of white vinegar. A tablespoon of vinegar per cup of water is sufficient. The vinegar softens the casing a bit more and makes it more transparent, which in turn makes your sausage more pleasing to the eye. Leave the casing in the water/vinegar solution until you are ready to use it. Rinse it well and drain before stuffing.

I use coleegan casings.
The best comedy is to see the politicians in the USA blaming one another for all the stealing they have been doing for so many years.
Maybe this is Obamas strategy to get the truth out in the open.
scotty
Registered Member

beef franks

Postby leeroy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:30 pm

is this recipie for a beef frank as it seems to have more pork in it than beef, its a beef frank i am wanting i think the american brand names say they are 100% beef like hebrew national and vienna beef. to be honest i have never even tried a beef hotdog before.
leeroy
Registered Member

Re: beef franks

Postby scotty » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:27 pm

leeroy wrote:is this recipie for a beef frank as it seems to have more pork in it than beef, its a beef frank i am wanting i think the american brand names say they are 100% beef like hebrew national and vienna beef. to be honest i have never even tried a beef hotdog before.

USE ALL BEEF--I USE ALL TURKEY AND IT TASTES QUITE GOOD ALSO.
The best comedy is to see the politicians in the USA blaming one another for all the stealing they have been doing for so many years.
scotty
Registered Member

Postby scotty » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:29 pm

All beef in the USA means anything that is attached to or dangles from the cattle.
scotty
Registered Member

Postby beardedwonder5 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:43 am

Dangles??
GOS, yeah!!!
beardedwonder5
Registered Member

Postby Mike D » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:50 pm

All beef in the USA means anything that is attached to or dangles from the cattle.

BRILLIANT !!!! LMAO!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers,

Mike
Registered Member

Location: Border of Bury/Bolton up on the moors, Lancashire, England

Postby scotty » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:12 pm

beardedwonder5 wrote:Dangles??

That's what moooves me to learn yo make my own hot dogs
scotty
Registered Member

Return to Beginners