Beginners

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby Oddley » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:58 am

Diann your Butcher might only use shoulder but I bet he the adds a load of hard back fat to bring up the fat content. He will the add rusk and water to bring up his profit content.

Click Here to find out about casings.

For gawds sake keep your fingers out of the mincer filler tube or I see a trip to the Hospital in your near future.

Good luck with the sausage making.
Oddley
Registered Member

Casing etc.

Postby Parson Snows » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:25 pm

Diann
you wrote
The casings weren't straight out of a body!! Holy mackeral! Would not have coped with that! No, it came out of a big bucket thing and he kept yanking till he came to the end and there was all knots and stuff. Yuk! He said I had to soak them in water for a bit.

These are natural salted casings. For soaking etc. refer to link
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=318

You wrote
I asked him what he made his sausages out of and he said he only used shoulder.

He�s in the business of selling sausages/snags and is obviously not going to tell you his recipe, shoulder will account for some of the �meat content� typically the rest will be hard pork back fat. Just make sure that your meat has enough fat content. You�re looking at approx. 25 % so that the sausages don�t turn out too dry (Pork Shoulder/Boston Butt is typically used for sausage making, and should be approximately the right fat content. Trim if excessive fat is present and add Pork Hard Back Fat if more is required).

you wrote
And no, smart mouth, I haven't lost the oven manual and I did follow your recipe.

I can guarantee that you can call me whatever you like, and I don�t care and won�t bite, born and raised in pubs in Whitechapel. However, there are moderators on this forum and some people are easily offended.

You wrote
Furthermore, I'll have you know that I probably have every manual from every appliance that I have ever owned (and I am the gadget queen, if not the sausage queen) but I took this place apart today and cannot for the life of me find the mincer manual. But it wasn't really a manual either. It was more a leaflet type number that I don't recall having any deep explanations. Have decided just to give it my best shot. How hard can it be?

Follow the instructions and it�s not too hard.

You lastly wrote
I've nearly blown myself to kingdom come with a pressure cooker and a few other assorted debacles and survived.

I take it that that was by following the manual?

good luck with the first batch. Look forward to hearing how they turn out

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Re: Casing etc.

Postby Spuddy » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:03 am

you wrote
And no, smart mouth, I haven't lost the oven manual and I did follow your recipe.

I can guarantee that you can call me whatever you like, and I don�t care and won�t bite, born and raised in pubs in Whitechapel. However, there are moderators on this forum and some people are easily offended.

I see no reason for offence. After all Mr. Snows IS smart and he has a mouth. :D
Spuddy
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Beginners