Bradley Smoker Cold Smoking Times

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby legionnaire158 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:29 am

Nice ones- thanks guys. - As regards the French, I don't know what they do that is better than us Brits, but better their food certainly is.
I went to Tesco last night, Three rows of fizzy drinks, one small butchery department, staffed by idiots who stood in front of a mincer and told me they weren't allowed to mince me a bit of steak freshly because "they wern't allowed to", and that they only had blunt knives because of "health and safety" (total crap, in my experience blunt knives are more dangerous than sharp ones)
Ho Hum. Wednesday is smoking day. Thanks to you guys I feel a lot more confident about it.
Mat, as soon as it's done and tasted I'll send you contact details

Steve
"Works well under supervision, and when caught like a rat in a trap"
legionnaire158
Registered Member

Postby Fatmat » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:20 am

Steve, can you guarantee me safe passage in the land of the Scummer? Afraid I'll end up getting duffed up otherwise

Mat
What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease.
Fatmat
Registered Member

Postby vinner » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:55 pm

Steve:

I use a Bradley, and I smoke a belly that size for 3-4 hours at 150 degrees F, to bring the bacon to 145 degrees. It still has to be sliced and cooked (after refrigerating overnight) but makes the best american style bacon ever! Do remember to let sit in fridge after rinsing and drying overnight, or, if it is cool enough where you are, leave out after drying with a fan on it for 3 to 4 hours. Without that pellicle, you will just get a smoky smudge on the outside.
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:03 am

As a bradley user for many years I have never smoked bacon much to my dissapointment. I have kept her for the smoking of fish only. However I have a chum who smokes bacon quite a lot and he has told me (rightly or wrongly) that he smokes his bacon approx 1.5 hours per inch of its depth.

Hope this helps...........Cheers WW

Ianinfrance, excuse my ignorance but what is liquid smoke???????
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:39 am

It's made by passing water though a smoke chamber and then concentrating it down. You paint it on meat and let it penetrate to get a smoky flavour if you can't get access to a smoker. Much like the smoke powder in the dry cure from this site.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Ianinfrance » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:15 pm

Hi WW,
Ianinfrance, excuse my ignorance but what is liquid smoke???????

It's a brown liquid that I bought in the USA. :roll:

I've no idea how it's made, or what it is exactly, the bottle says it's made from real hickory smoke, but it works pretty well.

When I bought it, I didn't know one could buy the powder.

Actually I'm seriously considering putting in a request to the finance ministry to see if a Bradley couldn't be in my reasonably near future, like in round about 74 days or so. :lol:
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:14 am

Also available in pecan and mesquite I believe. I'd offer a UK delivery point for a Bradley if you were coming to the UK but I'm about as far from a port as you can get here :(

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Ianinfrance » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:21 pm

Hi Dave,

That's very kind of you, but as it happens, I've got a brother who lives in Leatherhead, which is where we'll be staying over Christmas, so if SWMBO decided that home smoked this and that and a bit of the other (naturally) appeal to her, then I wouldn't have an address problem. In fact there's even a Bradley stockist (though they only stock the 6 shelf digital apparently) in Dorking, where my brother shops regularly.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:58 am

It's a small world my Sister lives in Shere and my parents in Fetcham and I went to school in Leatherhead :lol:

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Ianinfrance » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:01 pm

A small world indeed, Dave. What's more I even committed telephony with him today!! He's very near your parents' place, as his house overlooks the A24 as it goes from the Givon's Grove Roundabout to Dorking.

He seems very supportive about the idea of a smoker. A good friend of his (USA side) and fellow lepidopterist is a mad keen smoker. No doubt he'd tell me that only wimps buy Bradleys, a "real man" will build his own. I'll be writing soon to see what he has to say.
All the best - Ian
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby Flatbow » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:06 am

Hi Legionaire

Like yourself, I have the Bradley with cold smoker attachment. Through some experimenting I've found taht streaky comes out very nicely with a 3.5 hour smoke using the oak or maple bisquettes and back bacon for around 4.5 hours using the same flavours

Hope this helps

Steve
If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
Flatbow
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Beginners