What length!

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby aris » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:15 pm

I would have thought one could use a device similar to what jewlers use to measure ring sizes. Otherwise, doing a bit of math, one could figure out the equivalent size when you measure the casing flat.
aris
Site Admin

Postby sausagemaker » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:38 pm

Except the casing isn't flat when its produced it's full of ****
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby TobyB » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:16 am

measured flat and then doubled would give you an (approximate) circumference.

Given that natural casings are not uniform along their length I personally can't see the point. I just do roughly as much as I think I'm going to need and then a bit extra to allow for my errors. They aren't exactly expensive so if I end up throwing away the odd foot or two I don't get too excited (and you could always re-salt them if you are feeling frugal)... mind you, the other day I ran out with about a pound of meat still to go :oops: and didn't have any more (salted or rinsed) spare so had to make burgers. You live and learn as they say :roll:
TobyB
Registered Member

Postby aris » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:37 am

Same happened to me - I ran out.

I usually fall back to collagen casings, or cheat a bit and quickly soak and rinse through a hog casing with some warm water.
aris
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Beginners