Sausage Cooking School in UK

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby deb » Sat May 21, 2005 4:31 am

I think the Beef and Guinness will get a whirl here.
Sorry to say it but the ones made from the collagen skins don't look anywhere near as appertizing (sp??) as the original lot. The first pictures look really good, don't suppose anyone looking at them hasn't had their mouth watering.
Thanks for the recipes.
Skinny Cooks Can't Be Trusted
deb
Registered Member

Postby Yorkie_Porkie » Sat May 21, 2005 9:21 am

I agree Deb, they may have looked better if I had the right size stuffing tube, and then I at least could have made proper links. They taste good though, and I found the Collagen skins a lot less messy, overall though I prefer the Natural Casings......

YP
Yorkie_Porkie
Registered Member

Postby Platypus » Sat May 21, 2005 2:06 pm

Yorkie_Porkie
I don't care what your spelling is like, so long as you keep posting great recipes like the Guiness one. THAT is definately going on my todo list.

Thanks
Platypus
Registered Member

Postby Yorkie_Porkie » Sat May 21, 2005 2:37 pm

Platypus,

Thanks for that ! :D ...mind you, if I start the business venture I am thinking of, I may have to ration the recipe sharing ! ...wouldn't want all my secrets out now would I ?? LOL
Yorkie_Porkie
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat May 21, 2005 5:04 pm

As Yorkie has posted pics of sausages, I thought I'd share my saturday morning with you all.

3 shoulder cuts and pretty much a whole belly, all boned, skinned and excess fat packed for the future.

About 4 1/2 hours later we end up with this

The furthest plate is Franco's Lincolnshire mix with added sage and thyme, cos I like a powerful herby sausage.
The right hand plate is Pork and Leek made with a base of Franco's plain mix with softened fresh baby leeks.
The big plate is Franco's Cajun mix as is.

I slightly overfilled the pork and leak casings causing a split and a small amount of cursing.

The stuffer was bought from Asott Smallholdings and thus far has performed well for such a cheapie.

Regards Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Yorkie_Porkie » Sat May 21, 2005 6:28 pm

Paul,

very nice job indeed !, they all look very tasty !!! :D , just out of interest what do you pay for pork where you are ?...

Your stuffer is that the DP146 ?...How much in weight does that hold, as it says 3 litres on their website....is it easy to crank etc ?

Rgds

YP
Yorkie_Porkie
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat May 21, 2005 8:25 pm

Yorkie, I pay top dollar for my pork but do not mind as I can then control every tthing that goes into the sausage. Get it out of Dewhurst. They take the p1ss a bit when you buy a load of pork until you explain that your sausages are better than theirs, then they are interested.

That suasage stuffer is pretty good. It is a 3kg. It has a well made gear and I can stuff sausages on my own, a bit of leg movement etc, but on the whole is a worthwhile piece of kit. I should be receiving a 5 kg Reber from Franco soon and I will let you know if it is better than my current one. The larger one looked very good on the tele the other evening. Hope this one's as good. BTW just had some more Goan Vindaloo... they are brilliant.

Regards Paul Kribs

BTW I paid �30 for the meat involved with todays episode, �15 for the 3 shoulder joints and �15 for the belly. Worth every penny, a sausage beats a joint any time.
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Yorkie_Porkie » Sat May 21, 2005 8:53 pm

Paul,

Sounds good to me !, I pay 73p lb up here, based on half a pig, from a good Butcher who is also very friendly and divides the meat as I want it done, the only thing I have to do is bone it out, skin and cut up for mincing. The meat is always of very good quality and very fresh.

Am thinking about getting hold of the stuffer you have, and then at some point the big daddy 8kg Reber, ( look forward to your comments on the one you get you compy winner you !) then I can then use the smaller of the two for small jobs and the big one for the larger scale production.

The Goan Vindaloo sound yummy !

By the way, and just a thought, have you thought about making up a jig with an electric drill attatched, removing the handle and connecting the chuck straight on or with a hex adapter fitted ?...if you had one with variable speed, you could set the speed and tape the trigger down, then control the power to the drill with a foot switch !....One person linking !! ...Might just try that myself ! :D

YP
Yorkie_Porkie
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun May 22, 2005 5:41 am

Yorkie, I did have some thoughts on automating my old manual mincer by the addition of a motor but have since purchased an electric Fleischwolf.

Re the stuffer.. I think I would rather it be manual at present cos like you I am still in the early stages. I think the only downside to manual suffing is that the stuffer has to be affixed to the 'edge' of the table which means the plate is to one side, it's OK albeit a little awkward inasmuch as the filled sausage needs a little guidance to its resting place. I have enough cordless drills to 'adapt' if needed, 5 of them up to 24v. also got a sewing machine treadle that now sees minimal use, which obviously is a variable speed.

Franco's Goan Vindaloo mix is very commendable. It has a small amount of heat and is very fragrant and is the wife's favourite sausage at the moment (that should invoke a comment) :shock: and I suspect the Cajun will also be very tastey. Will let you know.

Regards Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Yorkie_Porkie » Sun May 22, 2005 10:13 am

Paul, yes I can see that the stuffer has to be on an edge, but there's no reason why it couldn't be bolted onto a piece of wood which you then clamp onto your table is there ?...

I have an old kitchen table which I may use for this when I get one, will have a look at the options first I think. Of course theres always the option of introducing another bit to your table at the bottom end maybe clamping onto the table and having a leg on the side that hangs over the edge ??...

Been looking at Franco's mixes, will probably be ordering a selection for my next half pig day / weekend, and try some more mixed with cure # 2 for drying...And more than likely the Salami kit too ...

On your wife's current choice of sausage I will say nothing !! :D

YP
Yorkie_Porkie
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun May 22, 2005 12:38 pm

Yorkie, It would have to be another board cos the stuffer needs to be on an edge.. the handle is about 10" long and rotates on the side.
If I were stuffing sausages a lot I would make up a purpose built workstation but for the small quantities I make it's hardly worth it.

Regards Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Jonty » Mon May 23, 2005 2:59 pm

Yorkie Porkie,

If you don't mind disclosing it, where do you get your meat from?? I'm not far from you and am always on the look out for good suppliers - I'm getting a bit frustrated with one of my butchers as he now seems to be upping his prices now he knows what I want the pork for and obviously would be very happy to 'vote with my feet' and shop elsewhere.

Cheers
Jonty
Registered Member

Postby Yorkie_Porkie » Tue May 24, 2005 2:39 am

Paul, can see the problem there !, when I get mine I will have a play around and see what I can do I think, I have something in mind and will post what I come up with if of interest !..

rgds

YP...

Jonty, where are you then ?..how much you paying ?..contact me offline if you like...YP
Yorkie_Porkie
Registered Member

Postby Jonty » Tue May 24, 2005 11:03 am

YP

I'm in brighouse, there's a couple of good buthchers within the area and I am more than happy to pay good money for quality meat - after all that's why we all make our own sausages isn't it? But if there's another supplier locally with good quality meat for less, then, thats more sausages for my money. I have noticed that since I've said what I'm doing with the meat, the throwing in the back fat for free etc has stopped which has peeved me somewhat. I think that the majority of sausagemakers out there are paying premiums for joint grade pork (to then take home and mince) as obviously any butcher who makes his/her own sausages will use all the suitable cheaper offcuts for themseves.
Jonty
Registered Member

Postby Yorkie_Porkie » Tue May 24, 2005 12:27 pm

Jonty,

I am only just down the road from you in Cowcliffe !, how much have you been paying per lb then ?, if you have been using Jones in Brig, I bet he was dear !...I guess the price will depend on if you are wanting a half or whole pig at a time like me or just what you need for your sausages. Come back and let me know, we may be able to get an even better price if more people use my chappie !..

My guy doesn't supply back fat, the pork he is getting in is quite thin on the ground for a good layer of fat...but maybe he can source it for us who knows ?

YP
Yorkie_Porkie
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Beginners