Canning

The place to swap commercial recipes, techniques etc.

Canning

Postby Epicurohn » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:03 pm

I've started a small sausage kitchen at home and wish to complement my sausage and cured meat offering with canned Marinated Kalamata Olives, Catalan Tomato Puree, and Manchego Cheese Dip. Anybody with canning experience who wishes to share knowledge?

Thanks,

David
Epicurohn
Registered Member

Postby xbec » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:07 pm

Are you thinking of canning in jars (which would show off the contents) or canning in tins, David? Image
Either way, sounds yummy! Image
xbec
Registered Member

Postby Epicurohn » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:49 pm

Sorry I've neglected to check postings. I've already done some testing with glass jars (Masson type) for Herbed Kalamata Olives and the Catalan Tomato Pulp. Canned with the Low Pressure method. Sold some over Christmas as part of Gift Baskets. I open 1 bottle every month to see if the're any fungi, off color, taste or smell. So far everything is fine.

For the cheese and meat products I need to go with a Pressure Canner and use preservatives. Read a couple of books but I don't have the time right now.

Any comments or experiences appreciated

David
Epicurohn
Registered Member

Postby Absoluteherb » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:10 pm

Canning in tins or jars, which ever is used will require some conditioning. This conditioning is what is most often responsible for side effects on natural products. I very much prefer natural food.
Absoluteherb
Registered Member

Postby Epicurohn » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:26 pm

Back then I was only considering Jars, no tins. Now I'm inclining towards plastic pouches due to costs. This does force me into using preservatives. Would I still need to use preservatives for prepared mustards and olives?

What conditioning do you refer to Absoluteherb?

Thanks,

David
Epicurohn
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:37 pm

Hi David, I don't think he joined with any desire to impart information particularly, just to get the name of his business noticed, so I wouldn't hold your breath for a reply. I'd be happy to be proved wrong though...

I assume he is referring to the heat treatment normally required to "pasteurise" the food before sealing, though I am very much out of my depth here.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:18 pm

Dave
That's the polite way of putting it!
I don't think it's our type of sausages his site has products for! :lol:
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:19 am

I try and be polite :)

For David,

This was a new breed of spammer who tried to look as if he had something sensible to say while putting in a hyperlink into every post linking to his site selling male virility products. The hyperlinks were quietly removed but the posts left in place in order to embarrass him in to not returning.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Return to For food service professionals, chefs, butchers etc.