Mixing - dough hook or paddle, what is best?

The place to swap commercial recipes, techniques etc.

Mixing - dough hook or paddle, what is best?

Postby trotters independant » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:50 pm

Hi folks

Looking to purchase a mixer (commercial) have looked at crypto rotabowl as a recommendation which mixes sausage by using a dough hook. I would prefer to get a new machine due to the age of cryptos, the one I have been looking at is a paddle mixer, will this give a totally different consistency when filled with a hydraulic filler? or will it be the same texture if had been mixed with a dough hook? :?
trotters independant
Registered Member

Postby xbec » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:15 am

Hi trotters independant! :)

I'm new here - in fact, this is my first post.

I work in a grocery meat dept. where we make 20 - 30 lbs. of sausage almost daily. I'm not familiar with the brand of mixer you spoke of. Are you in Australia? Stateside, Hobart is the predominant commercial mixer and that's what we have in our meat dept. The paddle is used to mix the meats and seasonings but, you're right, in that too much mixing changes the consistancy of the meat. It can become a mucky mess. :P The trick is to mix it at a slower speed and just until it's blended. It then goes into the stuffer.

I hope that helps. and best of luck with your new mixer. :)
xbec
Registered Member

Postby trotters independant » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:55 am

Hi

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your post.

I have now made my purchase of mixer and have gone for a paddle as pictured below.

This is a brand new machine in stainless where as a lot of the older machines have paint on them, this can flake and fall into your mix, which was another factor that made me decide to go for new, also the size is more compact, perfect almost for my requirements. A lot of old butchers here use a dough hook I believe, but apparently these paddle mixers are designed to almost replicate the mixing of your sausage by hand, therefore giving a good mix. 8)

My location is in the UK, not Australia unfortunatley :P

Regards

Trotters

trotters independant
Registered Member

Return to For food service professionals, chefs, butchers etc.