Creating a salumi cellar in a new restaurant, need help

The place to swap commercial recipes, techniques etc.

Creating a salumi cellar in a new restaurant, need help

Postby jgriffs » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:07 pm

I am creating a small salumi cellar in a restaurant. I am looking for alternative way to hang the meats and sausages than putting the traditional coated wire shelf racks (metro brand or other). any help would be appreciated. I am looking for a high density solution.

thanks
jgriffs, Chef and salumi addict
jgriffs
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:22 pm

Welcome aboard, whilst mostly amateurs I'm sure we can offer some advice, where are you?

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby jgriffs » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:26 pm

I am in st Louis. I posted here for exactly the reason that amatuers would be conversing. Most of those scale processing facilities have systems too advanced. I am hoping someone has some creative ideas. I have a room that will be 8ft long by 4ft wide and 8ft tall to hang meat.
jgriffs
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:48 am

St Louis USA?

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby jgriffs » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:29 am

yes....
jgriffs
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:02 pm

Hi and welcome. :D

Is the room for the storage of salumi produced elsewhere or part of a production facility?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby vinner » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:30 pm

jgriffs:

Try contacting Kody at alliedkenco.com . He is a supplier of all things stuffed, cured etc. I don't know if he specifically has access to hanging fixtures, but he might. I know he has the humidity/temp controls.
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby Epicurohn » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:44 pm

If you dense pack you will need to use forced air. If your ambient temp in your basement get´s above 70ºF during the summer, you´ll need to put in an A/C or remove (or insulate) any heat generating equipment in the area (water heaters, boilers, ovens, furnaces, etc.).

David
Epicurohn
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:13 am

Jgriffs,

Have you spoken with Paul Bertolli? He did almost exactly what you want to do at his restaurant, Oliveto, in Oakland, CA. Handcrafted salumi for the restaurant, and a smokehouse in the Oakland hills. He ended up seduced by the salumi and went into business, full-time, making salumi. You might want to talk to him about lessons learned at Oliveto, and hardware ideas. You should be able to reach him at his shop (all info from the Fra'Mani website):

Paul Bertolli
Fra'Mani Handcrafted Salumi
1311 Eighth St.
Berkeley CA 94710
(510) 526-7000

If you haven't read his book, Cooking By Hand, you might get some good ideas. He does discuss his salumi operation.

- tom
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Nutczak » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:16 pm

You may be able to run some bars along the cieling and use S-hooks that slide across them to hang everything.
I think I would be looking at having large hanging racks on wheels so they hanging meats could be moved around to make walkways through the curing room. I am guessing you want some airspace near the ceiling for proper airflow. "Highly insulated" comes to mind too,

A great option would be to purchase a walk-in cooler, and add your own environmental controls instead of the trypical evaporator and compressor set-up. That way you have "Easily cleanable" "Non-permeable" surfaces to keep the local health inspector happy too. And a cooler is already "NSF" approved.

Allied-Kenco is a great suggestion here is a link to their site http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/index.php
Nutczak
Registered Member

Return to For food service professionals, chefs, butchers etc.