Starting out in the sausage business/USDA Regulations

The place to swap commercial recipes, techniques etc.

Starting out in the sausage business/USDA Regulations

Postby DavidS » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:24 am

This is for folks in the USA: I'm considering setting up a very small business producing a couple of varieties of specialty and country sausages. I'm located in a area where three states come together, so the ability to sell interstate is critical. What I'm trying to find out is, what are the regulations concerning production of sausage products & etc. I've been the the USDA.gov website and gotten absolutely nowhere. This is all very much in the planning stages, but I don't want to invest too much time and money in a bureaucratic nightmare. If I can only find out what it takes to get into this business and production regulations, that would help me make further decisions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :?
Maui No Ka `Oi
DavidS
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:19 am

Perhaps a phone-call to the USDA will point you in the right direction.

This website may be a good starting point too:

http://www.meatnews.com/
aris
Site Admin

Postby Epicurohn » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:21 pm

Rytek Kutas mentions this briefly in his book. You can start with the local food inspector also.

David
Epicurohn
Registered Member

Re: Starting out in the sausage business/USDA Regulations

Postby othmar » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:55 pm

DavidS wrote:This is for folks in the USA: I'm considering setting up a very small business producing a couple of varieties of specialty and country sausages. I'm located in a area where three states come together, so the ability to sell interstate is critical. What I'm trying to find out is, what are the regulations concerning production of sausage products & etc. I've been the the USDA.gov website and gotten absolutely nowhere. This is all very much in the planning stages, but I don't want to invest too much time and money in a bureaucratic nightmare. If I can only find out what it takes to get into this business and production regulations, that would help me make further decisions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :?

To sell interstate you are going to need a federal licence. I am not sure how that works in the states, I live in Canda, but I am sure if you contact your local USDA branch or meat Inspector they will be able to point you in the right direction.
This link www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usdahome may give you the information you seek too.
Best of luck and let me know how it goes.
Regards
Othmar
Meat is good and healthy Master Butchers Choice
othmar
Registered Member

Postby othmar » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:25 am

To DavidS.

Your question interested me and so I looked a little closer in to your "problem".
I could find out this basic information for you.
It seems that when the costumers come to you to buy your products for personal consuption you do not need a federal licence. Even if these costumers are from out of state.
On the other hand if you intend to export your products out of state for retail sale trough a thirt party, i.e superstore, then you need a federal licence.
You also need appropriate food labels which are standardiced by the USDA and many other things.
In short be prepared for a long and often confusing as well costly process if you want to go the second route.

Hope everything works out for you.

Regards
Othmar
Meat is good and healthy Master Butchers Choice
othmar
Registered Member

Postby pawclaws » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:52 pm

Start with your county health inspector. Any restaurant can give you the name and phone number. They will refer you to the state officials for their information packages. A good idea is to talk with the folk at Small Business in particular the Service Core of Retired Executives (SCORE) and let them bend your ears for a while. Once you examine the economics and have all of the business set up strategy worked out you might want to visit a small manufacturing operation before buying any equipment. I would recommend Rudy's Farms outside of Clarksville. Drop my ex-wife's name (Erlinda) on Frank Rudy's wife and I'm sure whe will help you out.
Phil Foreman
AKA Pawclaws or
Sgt Kass Irons, CSA
Instructor of Cooks and QM, Mosby's Raiders
www.ohiocampcooks.org
pawclaws
Registered Member

Return to For food service professionals, chefs, butchers etc.