Sausage Making Regulations

The place to swap commercial recipes, techniques etc.

Sausage Making Regulations

Postby HotDogQueen » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:16 pm

Hi guys, New to the forum. I joined because I'm working on a business plan for a class at culinary school. I'm developing a restaurant concept that would be fast casual sausage takeout. We're going to be partnered with a local biodynamic farm which will produce all of our meat.

What kind of Regulations apply to my restaurant? If...
it's in Albemarle County, Virginia, USA
Meat will be fabricated and processed from primals on site.
Restaurant will own and maintain all sausage making equipment.
Sales will include eat in and take out. No raw sausages will be sold to customers.

I know this is such a strangely specific question, but I've searched everywhere, and I'm not sure a health inspector is really going to want to talk to a student.

Thanks for your help!
HotDogQueen
Newly Registered

Postby DanMcG » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:12 pm

Welcome to one of the best sausage forums on the net HotdogQueen. I'm not sure if you noticed but most of the members are based in other places other the US, so you might not get a bunch of responses it this particular question.
That being said I think you might want to check out the food code issued by the US FDA. It's close to 700 pages but it will tell ya what you want to know. Let me know if you need some help with the search, I'm sad to say I like reading it some times. :)
Here's the link to it below............good luck.
FDA FOOD CODE
Last edited by DanMcG on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby slick4591 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:42 pm

Welcome HDQ! I can't speak for Virginia, but in Texas if you qualify as a restaurant you can sell your cooked sausages directly to the public as a product of the resto. It's when you package and label them you become a manufacturer. As such you are then required to list ingredients and nutritional information.

I should also add that a manufacturer requires a different state issued permit.
Last edited by slick4591 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
slick4591
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:42 pm

LOL I was just reading thru the codes and I couldn't find it. But I'm sure it's there.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Nutczak » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:08 pm

Welcome HDQ, how is the CIA treating you? I came up from J&W back in the 1980's,

How in depth does your business plan need to be? do you need to do P&L projections for 12 & 36 months, or just the narrative fot this project?

A restaurant is easy licensing, and doing retail out of the same space is just another license you'll need. But doing wholesale is what is going to hurt with needing inspectors on-site during all production times.

I just completed a business plan for a restaurant doing BBQ & wood-fired pizza. Ask me what you need while it is still fresh in my mind.
Nutczak
Registered Member

Postby HotDogQueen » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:05 pm

:D Thanks for the prompt replies everyone. Your help is much appreciated!

How'd you know I was a CIA student? Yes, I am.
Our business planning class is very in depth. I'm doing proforma financial statements for the first year of business. Mostly guesswork, but I'm trying to be as realistic as possible as far as expenses go.

How's the BBQ business plan going?

thanks again guys
HotDogQueen
Newly Registered

Return to For food service professionals, chefs, butchers etc.