Moisture Protein Ratio

The place to swap commercial recipes, techniques etc.

Moisture Protein Ratio

Postby BenInTexas » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:25 pm

I'm working on developing a HAACP plan for my business, and I've references to moisture protein ratio through the USDA guidelines. (IE it mus be below a certain level at the end of drying) Does anyone know how to measure this? Is there a meter available similar to a PH meter? Is there another methodology to test it? Thanks for any help you can provide.
BenInTexas
Newly Registered

Postby mitchamus » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:02 am

you could completely dry it in an oven and take the start and final weights to get a ratio of % moisture....

and then use that figure to work out what the % moisture is left in your cured products....

or

you could just buy a moisture gauge :)

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/206017512/Meat_moisture_content_meter.html
mitchamus
Registered Member

Postby BenInTexas » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:25 pm

I definately want to to the meter route. I notice the suppliers all seem to be in China. Does anyone know a US distributer? Or has anyone order from one of the Chinese companies and how was it to deal with them? Finally, what do they cost? Thanks, Ben
BenInTexas
Newly Registered

Postby wheels » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Ben, Welcome.

It may be worth checking as I read somewhere that MPR is now used just to determine the category of a product rather than it's safety. Water Activity is used to check for safety. Water Activity meters are available but are usually well over $1000 minimum (if not a lot more).

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby mattwright » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:46 pm

Like wheels I have heard that Water activity (aW) is what is measured now for the moisture content of meat. The meters are expensive like Wheels says. Pawkit make a portable one, but I think that retails for $1500.

A while back I saw a second hand one on eBay for around $500 I think, but that was the cheapest I have seen.

I would be interested to see if you absolutely need one for making salami for wholesale.
Matt Wright
WRIGHTFOOD BLOG
www.mattikaarts.com/blog
mattwright
Registered Member

Return to For food service professionals, chefs, butchers etc.