Beginners butchery

The place to swap commercial recipes, techniques etc.

Beginners butchery

Postby Deerstalker » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:44 pm

I need a good book on butchery of game and domestic stock. Can anyone recommend one or perhaps I should offer my services to a good local butcher FOC for a couple of weeks? :wink:
Watch your backstop!

Deerstalker
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:31 pm

Deerstalker

I have a basic cutting guide for butchering a 1/2 pig on my website in the sausagemaking section, just click the WWW on the bottom of the post. My information was mainly gleaned from an excellent booklet from the MLC (meat and livestock commission) called A Guide to Innovative & Versatile Pork Cuts, and they supplied it free of charge. You can also use the 'contact us' facility on their site, to request a copy of the booklet. http://www.mlc.org.uk/

Meat and Livestock Commission, PO Box 44, Snowdown Drive, Milton Keynes, MK6 1AX. contact Keith Fisher or Viv Harvey on 01908 677577.
Othmar Vohringer has an excellent tutorial on his site.
http://members.shaw.ca/masterbutcher/tutorial/tutorial_introduction.html

Butchering a pig is relatively easy once you take the plunge, and I did a pair of deer using the same method, although I skinned those as well. All good experience gained.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

The Deerstalkers Guide to Home Meat Preparation

Postby caoimin » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:25 pm

The Deerstalkers Guide to Home Meat Preparation by well known stalker/writer Ian Alcock, costs �4.50. Thin volume but excellent - all you need for deer carcase preparation.

http://www.tidelinebooks.co.uk/index.ph ... cts_id=337
caoimin
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:13 pm

I learned to butcher by looking at the cuts of meat in my butcher's shop, and then giving it a go.
Basic hygene is the most important thing to learn, followed by knife sharpening. If you can learn about these things, and have a rough idea what the meat should look like when you've finished it's not rocket science. You might end up with a bit more scrap (sausage time!!) the first time or two, but I've butchered venison and pigs, drawn more game than I care to remember, and I'm first in the (surprisingly short) queue of folk able to help out a neighbour with a glut: all self taught.
A good starting point is to skin and joint chickens yourself instead of buying pre-cut from the supermarket, butterflying legs of lamb etc. If you cock it up, just tell people it's French/Thai/Bhutanese style.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Return to For food service professionals, chefs, butchers etc.