6 gm Ground Black Pepper
1 gm Ground Cloves
1 gm Ground Ginger
1 gm Ground Mace
1 gm Ground Nutmeg
1 gm dried Bay leaves, finely ground
1 gm dried Thyme

Cure #1 = 3 gm = 145 ppm (nitrite)
saltpetre = 0.3 gm = 247 ppm (Potassium Nitrate)

To get 0.3 gm saltpetre I used 9 gm salt well mixed with 1 gm saltpetre, then took 3 gm of this mix. Which meant I had 0.3 gram saltpetre mixed with 2.7 gm salt.

Simmering Stock

1 Onion, stuck with cloves
1 Small Turnip
2 Carrots
2 Sprigs of Thyme
2 Bay Leaves
6-8 Cloves
1 Small bunch Parsley
Freshly Ground Pepper

Method

Combine the dried spices in a bowl, add the onion, fresh thyme, salt, sugar cure #1 and saltpetre cure mixing well. Rub the tongue thoroughly with the mixture and place in a large ceramic dish in a bag or vacuum packed. Put in the bottom of the fridge 1-4 Deg Centigrade for 21 days, rubbing in the spice and turning the tongue once a day.
When ready, wash the tongue. Place in a deep pan of cold water, add all of the simmering stock ingredients. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2-3 hours or until cooked and the small bones at the base can be easily pulled out. The tongue is ready when it feels tender when tested with a skewer.
While still warm, skin the tongue and trim the root to remove any gristle or bones. Fix it lengthwise on a board, skewering both ends. When cold, the skewers can be removed and the tongue will remain in shape, enabling it to be carved at right angles.

MY NOTE: I used the following method to press the tongue

Alternatively, the tongue can be pressed: Roll the tongue to fit into a cake tin, it should be a tight fit. Cover the tongue with a plate, stand a heavy weight on top. Leave in a cool place for 12 hours. Run a knife around the edge to free the tongue. Transfer to a serving plate, serve thinly sliced.
aris
Site Admin

Return to FAQ - Curing- [Moderated]