Injecting brine

Recipes and techniques using brine.

Injecting brine

Postby onewheeler » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:03 pm

Could I have some tips please on injecting brine? I tried it for the first time yesterday, on a small piece of brisket (corned beef being in mind), using the syringe I'd bought the missus (I told her it was for injecting the Christmas cake with brandy but there was an ulterior motive). Made up an appropriate amount of cure, tried to inject it, as soon as the needle came out so did the brine. After a few tries the brine was coming out of all sorts of places. I was only trying to inject 6% by weight.

Ended up tipping the rest of the brine with the meat from the tray I was using into a poly bag and leaving it to soak in from the outside.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Re: Injecting brine

Postby captain wassname » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:07 pm

Are we talking rolled?

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:12 pm

It was rolled but realised after brine came shooting out of the inner surface! The problem then was brine p'ssing back out of the needle holes.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:38 pm

This helps me:

When I was just injecting randomly, I would cross into a hole I'd just made and would see it come right back out as you describe. I also try to go slow (but still make a mess :D ). Whatever is in the glass dish gets poured in the ziplock beg as well. Captain Wassname's 6 % procedure is a big help to me.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby captain wassname » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:39 am

NCPaul has it sorted.Little and often and dont force the brine out.
Beef is what I have most trouble with but all meats seem to vary piece to piece.Probably easier to unroll,inject then re roll for cooking.

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:21 pm

There's a lot of holes in that piece of meat! I think one of my problems is that the marinade syringe is new and the plunger doesn't slide smoothly yet. I was perhaps trying to put too much in each hole. Judging by the speed with which the liquid came back out, it must have been forming a cavity in the meat which then collapsed once the exit hole was free!

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:02 pm

When I inject, I pull the syringe out as I push the plunger in to try and spread the brine-cure around as much as possible. It can be 'a pig' with a 10% pump, hence Jim's super 6% method.

Some meats are just easier than others. But, however careful you are, sooner or later you'll cop for an face-full!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DanMcG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:31 pm

wheels wrote: But, however careful you are, sooner or later you'll cop for an face-full!

LOL Ain't that the truth!
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:36 pm

Just to make clear, I don't inject into every diamond of the grid; I use it to get even spacing. If you look at a commercial injection machine, the needles look to be about 1 cm apart.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby captain wassname » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:27 pm

Martin as a matter of interest was this a vac packed piece of meat or a proper air aged joint. I ask because we are talking a significant difference in water content.

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:54 pm

I imagine vac-packed, it came off the butcher's counter in a supermarket.

I was very pleased with how it turned out - after about seven days curing, it was rinsed and brought to a simmer in a little water with an onion and a carrot, then left it in the simmering oven of the Aga for about seven hours (roughly 75 - 80 C). Great flavour, I was surprised that it had a very firm texture and it sliced beautifully. I'd been expecting it to come out more like a pulled pork texture. We've had the rest warmed up in bagels. It won't be the last time that I do it.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:45 pm

Glad it turned out OK.The reason I asked was because I did a piece of pork loin on Wed.and had similar issues Turned out to be cheap German stuff

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby Divey » Tue May 28, 2013 5:20 pm

I would like to ask a question about injecting brine. Are you folks talking about a large hypodermic syringe that you could possibly get from the local Vets. :?:

I have googled for reasonable priced brine pumps and it seems as though there is not much available for home use. :(
Divey
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Tue May 28, 2013 6:59 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Class-St ... ng+syringe

some have got syringes and needles from their local pharmacy but bear in mind for a 1 kg joint you will need to inject between 60 and 100 ml.
I got the above from a quick search but you may do better on E bay

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby Divey » Tue May 28, 2013 7:27 pm

Thanks Jim, I was not looking under the name 'Injector'. I have just bought a 50ml jobbie off eBay for $20.00 here in Australia. Looks the goods. :D
Divey
Registered Member

Next

Return to Brine cured meats