AM I DOING IT RIGHT ???

Recipes and techniques using brine.

AM I DOING IT RIGHT ???

Postby pinkpetal » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:34 pm

IVE ALREADY POSTED THIS QUESTION BUT IN THE WRONG SECTION HOPEFULLY ITS RIGHT THIS TIME

Hi every one , so glad ive come accross this forum as im a bit stuck in making salt beef "sout vleis " as we call it in south africa

really hope somone can help me

i found a receipe on the net ,

the following

Corned Beef

Ingredients:

One 4 lb. brisket of beef
1/4 cup large-grained kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
2 bay leaves, crumbled
1 Tbs. brown sugar
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. paprika
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs. saltpeter (optional, can be found in pharmacies)
1/2 cup warm water

Preparation:

Wash and remove most of the fat from the brisket. Mix together all the spices and the garlic and rub well into the brisket.

Dissolve the saltpeter in the warm water and pour over the meat. Place in a large, nonmetal container. Weight the meat down with a stone or brick and cover it with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. (You can also place the ingredients in a plastic bag and weight it down.)

Refrigerate for 10 days to 2 weeks. Turn the meat every 2 to 3 days.

Place the meat in a large pot of cold water. Bring to a boil and throw away the water. Repeat 3 times. Cover with cold water again, bring to a boil and cook over low heat, covered, for about 2 hours or until tender. Cool, slice thin and place on a platter. Serve with mustard or horseradish.

Serves: 8 to 10

however

Ive made it using the saltpeter and it still comes out brown and not pink, also i added some more water to teh recepe as the water didnt cover the beef , (is it suppose to cover the beef ?)

is there anything else i can do or any other recepes that will give me good PINK salt beef , bearing in mind im a complete moron in the kitchen

lots of explaining will be need

please help
[/b]
pinkpetal
Registered Member

Return to Brine cured meats