we are doing some streaky bacon

Postby scotty » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:10 am

We will smoke it next week

1 gallon of ice water at 38-40 degrees
1/2 cup powdered dextrose

1/2 cup real maple syrup

1/2 cup Kosher salt or Sea Salt
* Prague powder #1
The best comedy is to see the politicians in the USA blaming one another for all the stealing they have been doing for so many years.
Maybe this is Obamas strategy to get the truth out in the open.
scotty
Registered Member

Postby wittdog » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:44 pm

Nice looking Bacon
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby vinner » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:02 pm

Scotty:

Where in the world did you get your pork belly? I haven't seen any that thick in quite a while. I am sure it is from the loin section and not the rib section?

PS, I smoked my maple syrup cured belly with apple wood last week. Four pounds, long gone. I used one of the rinds in a bean pot dish, too. Fabulous.
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby scotty » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:13 pm

vinner wrote:Scotty:

Where in the world did you get your pork belly? I haven't seen any that thick in quite a while. I am sure it is from the loin section and not the rib section?

PS, I smoked my maple syrup cured belly with apple wood last week. Four pounds, long gone. I used one of the rinds in a bean pot dish, too. Fabulous.

its regular side--but the stuff is getting hard to find-- i went with the idea of buying 25 or 30 pounds but at 3.99 U.S.D. i only bought 12 pounds.
The best comedy is to see the politicians in the USA blaming one another for all the stealing they have been doing for so many years.
Maybe this is Obamas strategy to get the truth out in the open.
scotty
Registered Member

Postby vinner » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:23 pm

There is a hog packing plant about 20 minutes west of Houston here. iIhave an old price list of about 2 years ago showing whole pork bellies at $1.59/lbs. I don't know how fatty they are, and I sure don't know about the current cost, but i will have to drive out there soon to see what's what.

What's cool is they sell ALL of the by-products. Blood, jowl, liver, skin, tongue. Now I RAELLY want to get out there.
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:49 pm

Hi vinner,

If you get down to the Abattoir, then I would recommend getting some blood to make black pudding. which if made right is a delight. I don't know if you can buy it where you are, but if you have never tried it, it will be a revelation fried with your morning bacon.

Also, I wish I could find a regular supply, near to me, of pigs tongue, They are delicious cured, pressed and left to get cold with the jelly still round them.

What about devilled pigs kidneys. Soak them in milk for a couple of hours to remove the strong taste of kidney, if you don't like that taste. I've got a good recipe for devilled kidneys from Nigal Slater.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby vinner » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:58 pm

Oddley:

Yes, they have fresh blood for $1.35 USD for 8 ounces and $12.00 for a gallon. I will search here for recipes, unless you have a favorite?

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:21 pm

vinner,

I've not tried these, but they are probably OK.

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=230
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=227

Perhaps someone with a knowlege of black pudding making, with a good recipe will post it.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby vinner » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:00 pm

Thanks, Oddley, and a blast from the past. I've not seen Parson Snows posts in quite some time.

One more question.... Do you think it would freeze well after poaching??

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby wittdog » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:31 pm

Vinner you should get while the getting is good...I think its illegal to sell pigs blood in the US
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:20 pm

Sorry, I've never frozen any. I may be wrong, but I think I have seen somewhere that freezing it is OK.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:05 pm

I hope it freezes as that's what I did to my last batch :)

The Good Parson still watches in, by the way :)
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:49 pm

If you're right : then 'Hello' Parson Snows - it was you (and Oddley), who really 'lit my fire' about curing. I had been playing with it for years - your expertise and advice to others is what made me learn more and cure safely.

It would be great if you could find the time to post.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Iamarealbigdog » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:45 am

wittdog wrote:Vinner you should get while the getting is good...I think its illegal to sell pigs blood in the US

Yep, it not suposed to be alloweds, the only time you gen get it is when it is your pig and they do the kill for you. We have gotten around the law that way. Unfortunately at the last minute minute my spouse put a kybosh on it and reminded me out our deal. No head cheese, no organ meats and no blood products...

Dam I was looking forward to some real black pudden
Cheers from The Big Dog
www.lesnoiracochon.com
http://blog.lesnoiracochon.com

Where tasty things happen
Iamarealbigdog
Registered Member

Postby Mike D » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:36 pm

As I live in the town of the "Black Pudding" and regularly buy them fresh from the local market I'd better contribute :- :wink:

http://www.buryblackpuddings.co.uk/

Also check out Hairy Bikers on Bury Market (for non-UK residents these two characters are a couple of TV cooks and quite well known)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CNvXkrepZTc

Here's a recipe:-

2 litres blood
Large hog casings (optional)
3 onions, finely chopped
1 kg of suet or diced pork fat (back fat or bacon fat)
500ml double cream
500g oatmeal, soaked overnight in water)
500g barley, boiled in water for 30 minutes
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon mixed herbs or ground coriander
1 teaspoon black pepper or cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground mace

Soften the onions in a quarter of the fat, make sure that they do not colour. Add the rest of the fat and leave to slowly sweat for 10 minutes Add the oatmeal and cream and cook for a few minutes Add the rest of the ingredients and stir over a gentle heat for 5 minutes If you are using skins, these can now be filled and sealed with two knots. The puddings can then be poached in barely simmering water for 5 - 10 minutes. Splitting is common, to avoid this prick the puddings with a needle and cook on the lowest possible simmer (better to cook them very, very slowly then to lose them). Any pudding which floats to the top should also be pricked, they are cooked when brown liquid comes out. They can then be drained and kept in a fridge for 1 - 2 weeks

I have never done them myself, it is too easy to get them fresh from the market!! :roll:
Mike D
Registered Member

Location: Border of Bury/Bolton up on the moors, Lancashire, England

Return to Brine cured meats