first try ham advice please

Recipes and techniques using brine.

Postby Ianinfrance » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:21 pm

Hi Dave,
saucisson wrote:Mixing nitrate in with large amounts of salt and sugar and then using a small amount can be extremely dangerous due to the different particle sizes meaning you cannot guarantee effective mixing.
Which is why I mix them all carefully, grind together in a coffee grinder and then mix again. I also make sure I mix the mix carefully before extracting the mixed cure for use.

In any case I have some slight doubts as to the validity of this idea of yours. If it were true, using any of Franco's pre-mixed cures would be dangerous, because they DO have different particle sizes, the sugar crystals are significantly bigger than those of some of the other components (it's hard to know what they are as they all seem about the same size).

Actually, taking a representative sample of a heterogeneous mixture is not that hard. Even the charge hand at Stepney Power Station 48 years ago was capable of doing it! :D

What does need stressing is that it's important to remix the mix before extracting part of it.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:36 pm

...or, "as we say 'round 'ere: gi' it a gud stur 'for ya use it lad!"
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Fatmat » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:39 am

I recently did my first experiments with ham. I did a dry cure in a vacuum bag (put all ingredients into a home vacuum sealer bag and seal).

I left the hams for two weeks. I've boiled one of them and have noticed that the salt petre hasn't penetrated very far (2" maybe).

I spoke to my butcher and he said that slow/limited penetration was a problem with dry curing thicker cuts of meat. He suggested brine curing instead (he pulled a nasty face when I suggested injecting!!!).

I hope that this helps,

Mat
What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease.
Fatmat
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:42 pm

Fatmat wrote: ...he pulled a nasty face when I suggested injecting!!!).
Mat

Done properly, he'd not know the difference. :wink:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby captain wassname » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:02 pm

You could always inject half and rub half and maybe include 100ppm cure #1

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:13 pm

I agree with Jim, 'Oddley's Combination Cure' is a great way to tackle large pieces of meat.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

combination cure

Postby Ianinfrance » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:42 pm

Yerrr.

Give it a good prick, that's what I say. Works a treat.

I did it with several biggish joints, and they were pink through to the heart.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Brine cured meats