old english cure

Recipes and techniques using brine.

old english cure

Postby tinca » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:44 am

Ok just a few very silly questions regarding this cure from this site and general brining for ham,
Do you have to cook your ham after brining :oops: and what sort of times and would it be in a stock or just water
Do you press the ham ie: before cooking or after brining :oops:
Do have to inject your meat if it has a bone in, will you need to brine it longer if you dont inject :oops:

Sorry for all the DOo,s

Thanks Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Postby Mike D » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:23 pm

Yes, you would have to cook your ham after brining.

I slowly bring mine up to a temp of 74 deg C, and using a thermometer probe I will wait until the internal temp of the ham has reached 74 deg C, the same as the water surrounding it. I keep it at that for 1/2 hour and then take it off the heat and just let it go cold whilst still in the water. I generally use water with a bay leaf and some peppercorns in it. I never let the water boil, just sort of poach the ham.

I don't press mine. When it is cold I just cut the skin off and then cover with honey & mustard powder and roast it until this turns to a glaze - honey does burn easily though. :roll:

Yes, you will need to brine for longer if you don't inject as you will want the brine to penetrate throughout the meat. Injecting just speeds the process up.

I'm sure others with more experience than I will be along shortly to elaborate on my comments :oops:
Cheers,

Mike
Registered Member

Location: Border of Bury/Bolton up on the moors, Lancashire, England

Postby tinca » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:32 pm

Cheers Mike
Was wondering "again" :roll: would spiking the meat help the brining times, in theory it should help the brine get into the meat :D Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:19 pm

Yes but it's a bit hit and miss so I'd still leave the timings as if you hadn't if you see what I mean.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby tinca » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:43 pm

Thanks guys, will take all on board :wink:
tinca
Registered Member

Postby Fatmat » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:25 am

I like to add celery, roughly chopped onion and carrot to my boiling water - improves the flavour of the ham and the stock.

Mat
What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease.
Fatmat
Registered Member

Postby tinca » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:20 am

Fatmat wrote:I like to add celery, roughly chopped onion and carrot to my boiling water - improves the flavour of the ham and the stock.

Mat

Wot about liquid smoke , sorry i use it in everything now :lol: When simmering do you just keep the water temp on a very low simmer with lid on or off, i dont have a thermometer so its guess work for the internal temp.
Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Return to Brine cured meats