Frozen turkey and brining

Recipes and techniques using brine.

Frozen turkey and brining

Postby tinca » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:37 pm

Ok Peoples

I have a turkey and its frozen, can i brine it from frozen and do you have any lovely recipes for it :lol: I thank you Gaz

PS if its been pre-brined can you still go ahead and brine again using a weaker brine :?: Cheers

Just looked at the label and its basted jobby,
Turkey 89%
water
Salt
sunflower oil
emulsifier
soya lecitchen

Is there away to enhance the flavour rather then the salt content, could i add alittle salt and sugar plus spices and orange juice to water the frozen turkey is to defrost in :roll: would that work????
tinca
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:54 pm

I usually thaw my Turkey by dumping it in brine on Christmas Eve. I have a nice lemon brined recipe you can find or I can point you in the direction of and there are a couple of other delicious sounding ones on the same thread I think, and Chuckwagon has a "pink turkey" recipe that sounds like it is to die for. That's the good news.

The Bad News is that I would never attempt to brine a turkey that has been pre-brined or "basted" as you just can't tell what's already in it. :cry:

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby tinca » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:04 pm

saucisson wrote:I usually thaw my Turkey by dumping it in brine on Christmas Eve. I have a nice lemon brined recipe you can find or I can point you in the direction of and there are a couple of other delicious sounding ones on the same thread I think, and Chuckwagon has a "pink turkey" recipe that sounds like it is to die for. That's the good news.

The Bad News is that I would never attempt to brine a turkey that has been pre-brined or "basted" as you just can't tell what's already in it. :cry:

Dave

Cheers Dave
Could you point me in the direction of the recipes, i also brined a turkey a few years back it was a frozen bernard mathews jobby and it came out spot on , but cant find the recipe anywhere :oops: looking more to add taste rather than brining as such, any tips on doing that old bean :D
tinca
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:07 pm

Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby tinca » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:55 am

Thanks alot Dave, i hope you have a very merry christmas, and im sure the food will be lovely :D Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Return to Brine cured meats