How do I deal with a fresh beef heart and liver?

Recipes and techniques using brine.

Postby grisell » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:36 pm

Oddley wrote:
In northern Europe, there is quite a lot of offal sausage made, usually with rice and spices, but this is normally pork offal, it will be interesting to see what you do with beef offal.

Why not try this old Swedish recipe: Lungmos (Mashed Pluck)? This recipe is from a cookbook from 1918:

1 pluck (heart+lungs)
A few onions, chopped
2 cups short-grain rice or barley groats (optional)
4 tbsp wheat flour
100 g butter
2 tbsp distilled vinegar
2 tbsp light syrup
Pepper, salt, marjoram
(2 cups dry breadcrumbs or rusk)

Soak the pluck in plenty of water overnight. Simmer in salted water with the onion and rice/barley if using, until done. Drain but save some of the stock. Finely chop the lungs.
Fry the flour in the butter, add stock to make a sauce. Season with vinegar, syrup, salt, pepper and marjoram. Mix with the lungs.
Option 1: Chop the heart and add to the rest.
Option 2: Slice the heart thinly, turn in the rusk and fry golden in butter for garnish.

Will serve plenty of people. Make it at your own risk. :?
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Faggots

Postby steelchef » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:39 pm

saucisson, old cobber, I'm certain they taste good to you and your crowd but honestly, I'd be looking for a home if I made that in this house. My family won't touch organ meat as a main course or hors d'oeuvre. Nor will most of my friends and acquaintances.
I'm hoping that a great Braunschweiger may persuade them to try some in other ways. To the vast majority of folks around here, organs are unfamiliar and repulsive. Even the new Asian population shuns the wonderful offal sausages produced by their ancestors.
Different strokes, for different folks!
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
steelchef
Registered Member

How do I deal with a fresh beef heart and liver?

Postby steelchef » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:01 am

So I found a website that instructed me how to deal with the liver. There is virtually no waste. The fun part was peeling the membrane from the meat. The other part was figuring out how to deal with the large blood vessel support tissues which are unsightly and very ridgid. I cut them out.
The neighbour's dog just sent me a valentine.
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
steelchef
Registered Member

Re: Faggots

Postby saucisson » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:42 pm

steelchef wrote:saucisson, old cobber, I'm certain they taste good to you and your crowd but honestly, I'd be looking for a home if I made that in this house. My family won't touch organ meat as a main course or hors d'oeuvre. Nor will most of my friends and acquaintances.
I'm hoping that a great Braunschweiger may persuade them to try some in other ways. To the vast majority of folks around here, organs are unfamiliar and repulsive. Even the new Asian population shuns the wonderful offal sausages produced by their ancestors.
Different strokes, for different folks!

I say to my children, how do you know you don't like it if you haven't tried it.

It doesn't usually work... :lol:

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Brine cured meats