Possum Sausages

Recipes and techniques using brine.

Possum Sausages

Postby Sam Newman » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:41 am

I would like to make possum sausages using possum meat, parsley and lamb fat. Does anyone know how to prepare the possum intestine for the casing? I have never done it before and Im set on the idea but would like to get it right. Thankyou, Sam.
You can lead a dog to water, but you can't make him a horse.
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Location: Raetea Forest, Maungataniwha Ranges, Far North of Aotearoa New Zealand

Postby Richierich » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:17 am

I see from this and your other post you are keen to use possum wherever possible, but as far as preparing intestine, I have no idea, what is wrong with sheep or hog casings, somebody has done the hard work for you. I think I am safe to say, but in my opinion the casings do not add to the flavour, but perhaps the the texture, go for ready made ones.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:49 pm

I'm no expert on casing production but when I slaughter a calf I can't help but see a fortune laying in the gut pile. So what I do is squeeze all the goody out of them, run a water hose through them, invert them and repeat. When they look clean I scrape or pick any fat off them then wash them and soak them in a strong salt water solution. After that I take them and put them in a bag with lots of salt. So far this has worked well and I don't see why it wouldn't work on a possum.

Gotta ask, do you feed the possum cornbread and milk for a week before killing them or do you kill them out of the tree and eat them?
Patience please, I'm just trying to get on the learning curve.
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Postby TJ Buffalo » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:26 am

Opossum sausage recipe

5 Feet medium hog casings
4 lb Opossum, trimmed of all fat -cubed
1 lb Pork fat, cubed
2 ts Salt
2 ts White pepper
1 ts Tabasco sauce
1 ts Crushed cumin
1 ts Oregano
2 ts Sweet paprika

Directions:
Prepare casings.
Mix remaining ingredients, grind using the coarse disk and stuff into casings.
Twist off into 3-4" links.
Cook by sauteing inoil until well browned.
Source: Home Sausage Making by Charles G.
Reavis ISBN: 0-88266-477-8 Typed by Carolyn Shaw 12-94.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Possum gut lining sossys

Postby Sam Newman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:40 am

8) cool dude. That sounds worth a try. Im sure premade linings from the butcher are cheap enuf but I am trying to find uses for evry part of the possum that I can. They are a major pest here. They absolutly destroy our beautiful trees. I sell the fur for $98/kelo to a company that makes possum fur X marino sheep wool garments. very warm. I have a friend that uses the plucked skins for leather work and I use the meat for food and dog food. I have many recipes. Hangi is my favorite so far but there is nothing wrong with cassarole slow cook, quick hot fry up or grilled on the embers. I will go hunting tonight and try the hosing out and salting idea with the intestine. Thanks. Sam.
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Location: Raetea Forest, Maungataniwha Ranges, Far North of Aotearoa New Zealand

Possum recipe

Postby Sam Newman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:55 am

Thanks Buffalo. I have a simalar recipe. I vary the herbs depending on what is ready in the garden. I have loads of parsley, oregarno and tyme at the moment. I would also like to thank Richie for your comments. I live in the bush away from town and only in to sell my possum fur and get supplys. I do get the odd wild captain cook pig tho and I won't be wasting the gut linings ever again! Does anyone know if I can brine my saussages as I have no power to refridgerate or freeze them. I do have a friend with a freezer but it is a hassel to bother him to turn it on. would rather find other ways to preserve my meat where possable. One more question, Does anyone know how to preserve rabbit meat? I understand it is difficult?
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:59 am

I have to wonder, how big can a possum's guts be? maybe 10-12mm? They have to be to small for sausage.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:24 am

Snags
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:48 am

Hi Sam, we have a member on here from Nelson New Zealand, that goes Possum hunting, so it may be of benefit to you, to read his posts/threads. His name is, Coote

If the possum meat is trichinosis free, with a bit of thought, it may be possible to preserve the meat with heavy salting + Nitrates, in small bore salami, etc. You will have to find out more about the health of the wild animals in your area, I think.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

POSSUMS.

Postby Sam Newman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:21 am

Wow I cant believe evryones help. thanx guys. Yes I checked out coots page. His possums are nice and big south island ones. they look delicious! :lol: up here in the far north, that would be a very large possum. How can I upload a photo? Their has been cases of bovine TB in New Zealand possums but none reported in my area. I always check the liver and my theory is, If they put up a good fight, they must be healthy, but more research is required for raw meat. I will throw some in my friends freezer for a couple of months to make sure whyle I find out. but I will hav a go at making my saussys in the morning. I will update how it goes. Cheers. Sam
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:37 am

A tutorial on posting images is here.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Sam Newman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:38 am

What's the best way to do the salting method? Can I preserve sausages or do I have to preserve the meat and casings seperatly and make up my sausages on the day? I have been eating cooked possum meat for years and never had a saw stomack from it. My boarder collie bitch, 'Moonflower' is 12yrs old and she still runs 4 or 5 kelometers every day and she can still kill a possum with her blunt teeth. I would think that our possums are more healthy than the drenched animals that you buy at the butchers or grocery store. Sam.
You can lead a dog to water, but you can't make him a horse.
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Cheers

Postby Sam Newman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:40 am

Thanx Oddley. :P
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Return to Brine cured meats