Calculating PPM

Recipes and techniques using brine.

Postby BriCan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:00 pm

DanMcG wrote:I think I got this right but could someone check it for me?
I want to make up some beef jerky in an immersion pickle.Dan

Dan, with the possibility of getting my face ripped off :lol: I will pass on the equitations that we use. We have been doing it for over 25 years and as yet no one has come back to tell use we have killed them. :roll: :lol:

Spice Block

To every Kg of meat

50 gm spice
5 1/2 gm prague powder (cure 1)
For every 3 Kg of meat use 1 Kg water (luke warm)
140 gm liquid adamant (its a flavour enhancer)

Make this cover brine up 3 hours before using.

-------------------------------------------------------

Questions??
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:29 pm

wheels wrote:Sorry, I've probably raised more questions than I've answered.

Phil

LOL, yes but that's why I posted. I'm just trying to understand it better and every yellow flag will make me research it more. Heck I thought the immersion cures were the easy ones Phil.

grisell wrote:I use dry curing whenever I can because of this reason, but maybe it isn't an alternative for you, Dan?

I prefere using a dry cure and I think I got a handle on the cure amounts for doing one. Thats why I thought the a simple immersion cure would be the next simplest to understand. But Now I wonder.

Brican, thanks for the recipe from what little I know that seems low on the Nitrite, but what do I know. :roll: How long do you brine your product in it?
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:15 pm

Sorry Dan, I'm "taking the Fifth" on this one.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:28 pm

DanMcG wrote:Brican, thanks for the recipe from what little I know that seems low on the Nitrite, but what do I know. :roll: How long do you brine your product in it?

Dan, we had to re-educate the health department out this way on ppp as they were in over kill and I mean that literary :cry:

What I posted above is right off my HACCP sheets we fill out (and yes it has been checked out by the higher ups :lol: )

I would normally do my jerky up late afternoon (4 ish), making sure that meat was immersed in brine then cover with clean plastic bag (I used a 18 x 20) leave overnight in smoke room. Why? Because of the constant temperature (50 degrees F.) and cutting room too cold (30 degrees F.)

Arrive next morning 6.30 - 7 am lay jerky on racks and smoke until dry -- 4 hours approx.

As said above right from the HACCP sheets.

Hope it helps
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:34 am

Thanks Robert, Wedliny Domowe's site says "It has been accepted that a minimum of 40-50 ppm of nitrite is needed for any meaningful curing." and if my math is correct you're at 75 PPM. So my statement earlier about you cure amount seeming to be a little low wasn't totally wrong :roll: , you're way below Maximum but well above Minimum, Lesson learned.
I don't think I could be comfortable with leaving the product at 50° for any length of time though, I have had the 40°-140° safety zone beat into my head so I'll have to go for a longer cure time at 38°
I'm also wondering about your liquid adamant does that contain a cure accelerator? what's in it?
Again, thank you Robert and everyone else who has posted
Dan
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:23 am

DanMcG, I think your maths have gone a bit botox up.:)

BriCan wrote:Spice Block

To every Kg of meat

50 gm spice
5 1/2 gm prague powder (cure 1)
For every 3 Kg of meat use 1 Kg water (luke warm)

Make this cover brine up 3 hours before using.

I wrote:For 3Kg of meat

3kg meat
150 gm spice
16.5 gm prague powder (cure 1)
1 Kg water (luke warm)

brine weight = 1306.5 g
total weight = 4306.5 g
16.5 g cure# 1 contains 1.0312g nitrite

At Equalibrium 239 ppm or mg/Kg ingoing nitrite.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:47 pm

Thank you Oddley, I see my error, I added up all the weights of the spice cure and adamant per Roberts 1 Kg meat mix, but never multiplied it times three for the three Kg of meat.
Looks like I'm back to scrubbing pots. till I get it right. :(
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:19 am

One more question that I can't understand.
If I make up a brine and inject the meat with the correct amount, so the cure is the proper ppm, why do I still leave it in the brine during the cure.
Dan
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:30 pm

Dan

You don't need to, I did my last one with just the pump and then a few days in a close fitting bag.

The reason for doing it to allow the cure to equalise throughout the meat. Some people believe that during this time the meat will also pick up further cure thus affecting the PPM calculations. Given that the meat's already saturated with 10% brine, I don't.

Funnily enough, I normally inject my ham by volume and then immerse it for a few days. The last time I actually injected the brine until the weight of the meat had increased by 10% and didn't immerse it. The meat was, if anything, more salty from the one that wasn't immersed which surprised me.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DanMcG » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:57 pm

Thanks for your thoughts Phil. I just couldn't find anything in print as to why you would leave it in the brine, so I had to ask. The only thing i could figure was maybe by being in the bine, it some how balanced the cure out in the meat.
Dan
DanMcG
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Brine cured meats