Wiltshire cure again

Recipes and techniques using brine.

Wiltshire cure again

Postby tinca » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:40 am

Sorry peoples

i know ive probley ask this before and ive searched , but just come out of hosi yesterday and aint in the greatest mind set yet :lol:
so here goes: the said cure is for immersion , not any injection, how long in the cure , ive used the 500g to 5ltr of filtered water as specified?
Ive put 2 pork joints in around 1.5kg each and a small hock just over 1kg, all kept in the fridge, i reckon around 10 days , do fink thats about right?? or alittle longer, i will be smoking them after any times on that might help too, im using the CSG for that. Cheers Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:38 pm

If I recall correctly, the previous advice on these cures has been for under 5kg to cure 7 - 10 days.

Saucisson had the instructions as his signature for a while, hopefully he'll be along soon and can confirm that or advise.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby tinca » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:39 am

Cheers Wheels
Did get an email from here ,but thats been long gone now :oops: and the brain cells aint getting younger :lol: 7-10 days does sound about right to me, theyre not big pieces so should do fine, hopefully out flyfishing and can get afew fish to smoke along side the pork this week :wink: Gaz

Is there any difference between dry curing salmon and trout, seems in one post it looks as though one should cut down the curing time for trout?????? as they seem to go salty :oops: cheers again Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:18 pm

I don't know about them 'going salty' but obviously you have to make allowance for the relative sizes.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:03 pm

wheels wrote:If I recall correctly, the previous advice on these cures has been for under 5kg to cure 7 - 10 days.

Saucisson had the instructions as his signature for a while, hopefully he'll be along soon and can confirm that or advise.

Phil

That's correct Phil :)
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby tinca » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:35 am

Cheeers lads

didnt get me trout , was at A&E for the night :oops: so will ahve to wait for another trip ,as those trout in morri,s are far to small :lol: Something not quite right for me to go and by a trout , when i fish for them :P no cheating with me :wink: gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:21 pm

Sorry to hear you were in A and E. Tight lines.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby tinca » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:39 pm

wheels wrote:Sorry to hear you were in A and E. Tight lines.

Phil

Cheers Phil

Was peeing razor blades and blood:x might be in connection with me chemo, either way aint good :drool: calming down abit now , feel better but the blades are still out , that wont go away till the antibios have finished, a couple of days from now :lol: Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:43 pm

Keep your chin up mate - I'm sure all the guys thoughts are with you.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby tinca » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:53 am

wheels wrote:Keep your chin up mate - I'm sure all the guys thoughts are with you.

Phil

Cheers Phil

As youve guessed its the Big C Small cell carcenoma of my left lung or as i like to shock people with "dead man walking" :lol: :lol: my sense of humour, its just another punch up for me , ive suffer from diabetes , had both hips replaced plus athritus , got asthma so bring on cancer, join the que :lol: got to say though the support ive had is fantastic, having nursed my mum with lung cancer as a kid and saw the treatment and the lack of care its an eye oponer, to see the huge inroads theyve made, people cant do enough for me. im very greatful. Its emotional :drool: as you wil of noticed my humour get through and will keep me going, with my fighting instinct, no namby pamby stuff for me, straight from the hip :wink: cheers gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:02 pm

Gaz

I'm sure that your attitude, spirit and humour must help your treatment.

Keep fighting.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:58 pm

Hang on in there Gaz...

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby tinca » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:10 am

thank you guys
funny thing is ,most after chemo feel crap and tied, i feel great alot better than normal :lol: :lol: well apart from the last infection i got ouch peeing razor blades not nice :x and "NO" i didnt get it off the wife :wink: :lol: :lol:
next lot of chemo on the 18th , thats another load of sweets for the nurses and docs, they really ort to cut down its not good for them :lol: strangely im becoming squeamish about operations :shock: never used to be until i had my hips done and its getting worse, and i used to work in a butchers when i was a kid, cant even watch violent films especially with guts or chopping in it :oops: weird :lol: lucky i aint scared of needles i would be in the s*** :lol:
Thanks again Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:34 am

Funny you should say that Tinca, I ran a Government hostel for 'men without a settled way of life'. Never had a problem with slashed this that or the other, death, hanging, violence etc. Now I can't watch these on the TV. Particularly fiction.

Maybe we've seen too much of real life?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby tinca » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:54 pm

wheels wrote:Funny you should say that Tinca, I ran a Government hostel for 'men without a settled way of life'. Never had a problem with slashed this that or the other, death, hanging, violence etc. Now I can't watch these on the TV. Particularly fiction.

Maybe we've seen too much of real life?

Phil

I reckon weve experienced to much of it in reality, were as most kids/people dont so cant understand it, hence behave in a violent/uncaring manner, because they dont understand the consquences of there actions, if they felt and saw what we been through then they wouldnt behave in such ways , they would be far more understanding of it, if yer get what i mean, to much fisction not enough reality :lol: Having said that i wanted to slap that Gillian on im a celeb get me out of here :twisted: what a silly tart that is :lol: Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Next

Return to Brine cured meats