where are the turkey brine recipes,Its nearly time?

Recipes and techniques using brine.

where are the turkey brine recipes,Its nearly time?

Postby tinca » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:10 am

This time trying a fresh morrisons turkey, cheaper than copas, weirdly found we were to only ones so far to order a whole turk, everyone else seems to be going for the Breast :( clearly cant cook :? or hate turkey :lol:
theres got to be afew brines out there that bring to life a sad old bird, giving some suculence yet again, but not taking away to much from its natural flavour , we do want to remind ourselves its still a turkey :D did a brine last year, as usual didnt write it down and forgot it, but that was a frozen jobby, but came out rather good considering, left in the brine to defrost with herbs and orange juice i think :oops: Anyway got any better one , but not to mad :lol: :lol: Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:36 am

Is this what you were looking for Tinca?
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... ght=turkey

Funny I just stopped in for the same reason, to find a turkey brine.
Dan
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:38 am

The brine part of the fried chicken recipe I posted some time ago here
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... ht=turkeys
might be a good one!

I'll probably use it as we are doing a bird this year for the first time in I dont know how long :D
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:41 pm

Had this one recommended on another forum, will probably give it a go this year...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... index.html

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby tinca » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:53 am

The only problem with trying a new brine is , will it come out ok, you go to the expense of getting a bird , you know youve got to do something to it otherwise its going to be bland and dry, but do you stick to tried and tested or let yer hair down and go for it, ive got a fresh bird this year, so will take abit of time to think over the brines suggested, i like the look of the last post Dave,s not to complicated there :lol: would suggest knorr chicken stock cubes to add some extra flavour though. :lol: i like to stuff my bird , the turkey that is, with good old sage and oinion with pork sausage meat, just tradition, loads of butter under and over the skin and of course homemade smoked streaky to cover the breast and thighs, not to much inside just an oinion and a few herbs, no garlic :x I was thinking of cooking abit like i do me chickens , on a high heat , especially first off, wack the oven on full wack for half hour, then down to a low to mod oven, not that it really matters , its only the wife and me this christmas , we were invited to the neices , but she likes dry turkey and no brussells :oops: gonna have to teach that young mother to be some cooking lessons :lol: the wife will get piddled and we,ll end up with peas all over the place , spilt champane and so for , quite a laugh actually, quite funny seeing the wife rat arsed, me dressed as santa , the wife wants it to be our little christmas together so im not complaining:lol: Thanks guys Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:59 am

Quietwaters, your brine and dredge recipe sounds fantastic. I'm going to try that on some chicken real soon.
Dan
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby jdonly1 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:13 am

Man some of them sound good :wink:
jdonly1
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:36 pm

tinca wrote:The only problem with trying a new brine is...

Tried and tested only then...

Submitted to our School Cook Book
Dr Dave’s lemon-brined Christmas turkey

Charlotte wanted to give our turkey recipe, because it’s really tasty. Dad was fed up with dried out turkey at Christmas, so he invented this recipe to make sure we had lovely juicy turkey and we love it!

Ingredients

· A small frozen turkey (8 lb)

· 2 litres water

· 2 litres R Whites lemonade or similar clear lemonade (not sugar-free)

· 120 g salt

· 1 chicken OXO cube

· 1 salted lemon*

Method

· Dissolve the salt and OXO into the water and lemonade.

· Marinate the frozen turkey and salted lemon in the liquid for 18 hours in a roasting bag, placed in a cardboard box for support and to ensure the bird is submerged.

· After 18 hours, the turkey should be well thawed but still cold. Drain well and place the salted lemon in the cavity.

· Seal up the bag with plenty of air space and place in an open earthenware casserole.

· Roast slowly at 150 deg C for 2½–3 hours.

· Allow to rest in the bag for 30 minutes before opening the bag and removing the bird.

· DO NOT reuse the brine for anything else!

Serving suggestion

Serve with any vegetables you like, but include lashings of gravy made from stock from the giblets and lemony juices released into the roasting bag. J

* Available from delicatessens/Waitrose or… Fill a jar with lemons, chuck in several handfuls of salt top up with water (you can add some pickling spices if you have some) and leave several weeks.
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby tinca » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:41 am

Or what about this one http://bbq.about.com/od/turkeybrinereci ... 71116d.htm im using chicken knorr cubes for it, made up the brine to 4 pints and froze it yesterday,ready for use, but i like the sound of the lemonade brine :lol: gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Return to Brine cured meats