Cooking a brined ham

Recipes and techniques using brine.

Cooking a brined ham

Postby onewheeler » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:15 pm

Wonder if anyone could advise. I'm intending to do a brined ham for our crimbo Boxing Day party, a smallish piece around 1.5 kg, using the Oddley recipe with 2:1 meat: brine ratio.

Intention is to rinse it after brining, then keep in the 'fridge for a few days to rest before cooking. That will involve bringing to the boil in a pan of water, putting in the cool oven of the Aga for about three hours, then draining and roasting for about 30 mins in the hot oven to add that delicious taste of lightly browned ham fat.

When my Mum used to cook ham like this, she soaked the joint for a day or so first to remove excess salt. With shop-bought ham I've never bothered, as they're supposed to be much less salty. Question is, would a good soak be advised for the Oddley cure?

Cheers!

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:23 pm

Hi onewheeler, I've never had any issues with salt. The way I cook it, is in a large pot full of water, bring the temperature to between 75-80°C, drop the ham in and bring back to that temperature, cook until internal temperature of the meat reaches 80°C. Take out let cool for 10 minutes, carefully take off the skin, carve a diamond shape in the fat, paint on some English mustard and honey and put into the oven on a high heat, for 10 - 15 minutes or until the honey is caramelised. Cool cut and serve.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:30 pm

Cor, you've got me feeling hungry :)

Thanks for the advice, it didn't sound as if it would be very salty.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:31 pm

Dang Oddley, I've never tried it that way, but I think I might next time. Thanks! Dan
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:58 pm

I too am feeling hungry!

As an extra safeguard, because different people see salty as different things, taste the water after 15 - 20 minutes, and if it is salty by your standards change it for fresh and carry on.

I'm sure it won't be with Oddley's cure, but as general advice, it's sound! :D

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby onewheeler » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:08 am

Good advice Phil, as the cooking liquor goes to making soup with the crimbo left-overs, or paella stock if there aren't any.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Return to Brine cured meats