Corned Beef - Cure 1 amount - URGENT!

Recipes and techniques using brine.

Postby captain wassname » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:57 pm

You should look here

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... paul#50493

You need to read the whole thread and linked threads.
Until NCPauls experiment we were never too sure what was happening with brine cures
The experiment utilised a 2-1 cure first suggested by Oddley.The results were not in line with our expectations and so we came to this
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... ght=method
There had been discussion about using "stronger" cures i.e. more nitrite but by and large,as far as Im concerned, because of the volitility of the reaction at the start and the realisation that using a different ratio maybe 1-1 there was no way to determine the outcome.

This is not a put down and I for one wellcome any discussion on this matter.
We need all the help we can get.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby djrpowell » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:48 pm

Well that is even more confusing cheers :D

I dunno know now. I think if I get some more equipment i.e. salinity tester I could do an experiement. But without it I think I could just go with my book brine recipie or just dry cure!

I spent £15 on brisket so don't want to waste... so maybe dry cure better idea...

3 % Salt
1.5 % Sugar
0.2548 % Cure #1

So for my meat 2250g I will do...

67.5gram Salt
33.75 sugar
5.733g Cure #1 (Nitrate)

Then I will add my spice mix to bag!

Then 21 days!

Hopfully that will do it!

Thanks for all the advice. I am pushed for time at the moment so I will have to come back to this brine stuff and have a think in the holidays to get it right with a small bit of meat first!

Hopefully this will be a good log for everyone!
If it comes from 20 pigs and you are not sure if it contains testicles you are on the wrong track!
djrpowell
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:54 pm

Sorry didnt mean to confuse
Oddleys 2-1 cure as suggested by wheels is solid.
Its just that changing the brine and/or timeline is not as easy as it first seems.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:53 pm

Daniel

Sorry, all we seem to have done is add to your woes. :cry:

As you have probably realised, brine curing calculations are more complex than they initially appear. It's not just the amount of curing salt and time, but the volume of liquid also comes into the equation. The fact that the cure doesn't enter the meat in a steady progression also has to be taken into account.

For these reasons you can't mix and match cures. The cures suggested by Oddley, and my own amendment to the 'Charcuterie' book cure, were calculated to be as safe as possible given what is known about the dynamics of this type of curing.

Please let us know how you get on with whichever method of cure you choose to use.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby djrpowell » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:55 pm

Thanks guys I did the dry cure I said last above and vacuumm packed with some picking spices mix.

Looking good will do for 20 days as suggested which is longer than for bacon but I think should be ok. Then will cook in water so it will take a bit of salt out.

hope this is ok.

I will do a proper science test ( I do teach Phyiscs) on brine when I have time from previous work you guys have done to see if I can add to the methods as stated!

cheers
If it comes from 20 pigs and you are not sure if it contains testicles you are on the wrong track!
djrpowell
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:32 pm

I see brine experiments(science project) funded from the education budget .
Great idea. All contributions to the debate are most wellcome.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby djrpowell » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:03 pm

well I am not sure school will contribute! :D

Anyway I have the brisket in a vacuum pack with cure so we will see, looking good so far with lots of liquid coming off and allowing cure to flow around.

I have just picked out my first dry cure gammon joint 1.6kg. In oven!
djrpowell
Registered Member

Postby Mrs. Northerner » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:47 am

Hi djrpowell,

I'm interested to hear the outcome of your corned beef experiment. I am just about to embark on the exact same recipe for this months Charcutepalooza challenge (info here Charcutepelooza ), but also had questions about the brine which sent me searching here!

I kind of have to stick to this recipe, but my butcher couldn't get me a 2.25kg piece of Brisket so I was wondering if I should reduced the quantity of brine? But also should I reduce the length of time it is in the brine?

I'm having trouble finding a good local butcher, and he didn't understand the principle of one whole piece of meat so could I do the two separate pieces that almost add up to the correct amount?

Hope there is someone around to help!

Nic
Mrs. Northerner
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:58 pm

I would use Oddley's 2-1 cure and do each piece of meat separately. This would give you a chance to vary the spices on each (which don't enter into the brine calculations).

I kind of have to stick to this recipe

I wouldn't. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Brine cured meats