Corned beef.

Recipes and techniques using brine.

Postby Vindii » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:20 pm

JimD wrote:Last night I took the Corned beef out of the Immersion Circulator bath after 3 days. I was amazed at the amount of pink liquid that cooked out of it. Most of the meats that I have cooked by that method have come out soft and crazy tender. The Corned beef was very tender but was very firm. It must be a combo of the cure and the lean quality of the brisket but it was quite dense.

I did soak the brisket for 1 day in water with several changes. The meat will be perfect sliced with my deli slicer and put into a Reuben. I have to say that I was a tiny bit dissappointed considering that it took a week and a half to prepare. Oh well, it was an experiment all along and as we say in the lab, a negative finding is still a finding.

What was disapointing? The taste?

I thought mine was a piece of rubber when I took it out of the smoker to steam it. After I sliced it though it was great. Without being able to slice it thin on a good slicer I dont think it would have been as good.
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby JimD » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:57 pm

Vindi,
I think you are right. I am going to slice it thin for sandwiches tonight. I'm hoping that will be the magic trick.
JimD
If it's worth doing it's worth over doing.
JimD
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Brine cured meats