Prosciutto cotto

Recipes and techniques using brine.

Postby wheels » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:11 pm

I'd have done exactly as you did.

Offhand I can't think of any downsides to a 7 - 8% pump as long as run-off is allowed for.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DanMcG » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:08 pm

It's sounds like I do a pump the same as Wheels and Jason, from every direction, but I think the holes are from the slow cook and not the needle. either way it look awesome. that looks like you could cut it with a fork....sweet
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:19 am

wheels wrote:Jason

Did you inject it from the ends - none of the lines seem to run across?

Been a week from hell, now trying to play catch up. You are right on this score as it will (very) occasionally happen to me if I am in a big rush, short weeks tend to do it.

(although they probably wouldn't shown in the cut meat).

I do injection cures regularly (but obviously not as often as Brican) and I've never had the same issue.

End pumping will in fact produce the same holes as we are dealing with for the wont of a better word the 'end grain' using a large hypodermic (same as they use in the hospitals versus my medium one on the end grain will produce the same effect - stick the needle in push in plunger slowly withdrawing the needle at the same time, you hit a seam/membrane you will have some/a lot of holes
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:26 am

wheels wrote:That's like mine Jason. I push the needle in as far as it will go and slowly withdraw it whilst injecting.

ever tried it on a loin along the end?

Sometimes it's a real problem trying to get a 10% pump - I'm tempted to formulate a cure for a 7 - 8% pump to make it easier?

:oops:
I am very scientific on this :( I pump it until I see the increase on size.

I do know about the 10% deal and any time I eye ball it and do a random check I have achieved the 10% I must have horse shoes you know where :shock:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:30 am

DanMcG wrote:It's sounds like I do a pump the same as Wheels and Jason, from every direction, but I think the holes are from the slow cook and not the needle.

Out of thirty hams pumped at the same time and cooked at the same time it is only an end shot that has turned out like this
:oops:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:50 pm

BriCan wrote:ever tried it on a loin along the end?

No, I only inject hams. I always dry cure loin.

I am very scientific on this :( I pump it until I see the increase on size.

I do know about the 10% deal and any time I eye ball it and do a random check I have achieved the 10% I must have horse shoes you know where :shock:

Ah, that's easy for you. You probably do a thousand hams for every one I do!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Brine cured meats