Frozen Pork Loin

Recipes and techniques using brine.

Frozen Pork Loin

Postby tomwal » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:45 am

Hi all, probably posted this Q in the wrong forum 1st time round.
I am able to buy good pork loin at a really good price, they will probably be available until mid/late september at this price, I was wondering if it's possible to freeze the loins, then defrost and use them over the winter for making bacon with a brine cure.

Q is it ok to re- feeeze as bacon once they have been brine or dry cured, I know refreezing pork is a no-no.

Thanks

Wal
tomwal
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:44 am

Whilst many (myself included) may be tempted to do similar, I fear thatr 'official' advice is likely to be against you.

One thing to note if you do cure previously frozen meat is that it will cure more quickly than fresh.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Oddwookiee » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:47 am

You absolutely can do this. NO worries, no problems, just a marginal variation in texture, nothing to worry about at all.

Wheels is exactly right, it will cure faster. The water freezes in the meat and bursts a the cell walls allowing salt to penetrate a lot faster. The downside is it tends to weep about 8-10% moisture in thawing, so you may want to allow it to sit in the liquor after you rub and are curing it.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby tomwal » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:02 am

Thank you both, I will give this some further thought.

Wal
tomwal
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:08 pm

Coincidentally, I pulled a chunk of loin out of the freezer last night in anticipation of making some "ham" jerky today or tomorrow.

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Return to Brine cured meats