Prague Powder #1 5.88% and 6.25%

Recipes and techniques using brine.

Prague Powder #1 5.88% and 6.25%

Postby wickerman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi, a quick question......

Is it necessary to recalculate the amount of Prague powder #1 in a recipe if the recipe is based on Prague powder with 5.88% sodium nitrite and you are using Prague Powder #1 that has 6.25% sodium nitrite?

Cheers,

wickerman
wickerman
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:04 pm

Yes, it is if you want to adhere to the safety guidelines.

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby wickerman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:28 pm

Thanks Martin.

Another thought....

If the recipe just calls for an amount of Prague powder #1, (without specifying the % of sodium nitrite) what do you do then?

Do people work out the % by back calculation and adjusting the quantity if necessary? Or do you just use the amount in the recipe?

Cheers,

wickerman
wickerman
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:32 pm

What are the details and origin of the recipe?
Weight and type of meat, etc.?
It's wise to confirm the safety of the recipe before proceeding.

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby wickerman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:39 pm

I don't have any particular recipe in mind. I have just noticed that recipes on the internet and on this site often refer to Prague powder #1 without specifying the nitrite % and wondered from a practical point of view what people did.
wickerman
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:52 pm

Prague Powder #1 here in the US is 6.25% nitrite.
It's used at a rate of 156ppm for most general applications when applied dry.
That equates to 2.5 grams of PP per kg. of meat or one level teaspoon per 5 lbs. of meat.

Further maximum safe rates of application of nitrite and nitrate can be found in the Processing Inspectors' Calculations Handbook......

www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/rdad/FSISDirectives/7620-3.pdf

Important Note: It's extremely important to understand what exactly is meant by 'dry cured' in the handbook, the maximum safe 'dry cure' limits of nitrate and nitrite are NOT intended for short term curing.

HTH

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:21 pm

If you are in the UK, the only readily available Cure #1 from a commercial trader (i.e. not from the US via ebay) available for the home curer has 5.88% Nitrite and is a white powder.

If you're in the US it's a fairly safe bet that the nitrite level is 6.25% and that the powder is pink.

If you post the recipe you plan to use and tell us where you're based someone will check it out for you I'm sure.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby vagreys » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:23 pm

It's a good question and important to keep in mind. Look at the origin of the recipe, and the poster, if you want guidance. This is true not just for cures, but for liquid volumes as well. The gallons, quarts and pints in Maynard Davies' old recipes aren't US measures, either.

The bottom line, though, is that as far as cure goes it doesn't matter. You should always recalculate a recipe for the Cure you have on-hand. The recipe could have a typo in it, or be for a cure of a different strength. When you calculate the cure for yourself, based on the cure you have on hand, for the safe levels where you live, there's no question about its safety. The last thing you want to do is serve your family and guests something toxic.

As for whether you need to recalculate the brine, I think you do, because you need to ensure that you are not exceeding whatever safety threshold you have set. I put it that way, because, if you are only making for yourself and not commercially, there is no reason why your in-going maximum nitrite needs to be set at a particular level. For yourself, you can choose the max limit set by the US, or the UK, Sweden, the rest of the EU, anywhere else, or your own judgement. In the US, there is no minimum, keeping in mind that research tells us that 40-60 ppm nitrite is the minimum necessary for any real curing effect to occur. The EU has established minimums for some products. So, yes, you should recalculate to make sure it meets your own standards, if for no other reason.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby wickerman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:33 pm

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

It's interesting to note that the cure#1 available on the sausagemaking.org site states it's 6.25% sodium nitrite.
wickerman
Registered Member

Postby wickerman » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:25 pm

Another question...

Some of the calculators in the FAQ's refer to "Cure #1" and also " Cure#1 as sold by sausagmaking.org". Is this Cure #1 at 5.88% or 6.25%.

It does seem that at one time the Cure#1 sold by sausagemaking.org was at 5.88% but now refers to being at 6.25%.

Thanks.
wickerman
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:26 pm

I will try and find out the actual level. In the meantime, the FAQ cures are still safe to use - the difference in the dry cure is about 9 parts per million!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:25 pm

I can confirm that the Cure #1 from the forum website shop is 6% nitrite.

The difference between this newer formula and the old 5.88% nitrite is negligible so adjustments are not necessary to the forum cure calculators.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Brine cured meats