Simple Cheese

Recipes and techniques for hard cheese.

Simple Cheese

Postby Hangin_Salami » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:59 pm

Is there any "Simple' cheese recipes that you can make with standard ingredients and regular houshold items??

I would like to attemt one but don't want to invest anything at the start.

Thansk
Chris
Hangin_Salami
Registered Member

Postby Patricia Thornton » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:49 pm

Hi Chris. The simple answer is yes - I did and that's saying something!

I had always wanted to try to make hard cheese as it's almost impossible to obtain in Bulgaria and Rik von Trense advised me that I could make cheese using things found in every kichen. Take a look at his recipes and advice from other forum mebers and you'll see that all you need is milk, starter culture and rennet and your most of the way there.

It may have been good luck, but my first three attempts resulted in everyone who has tasted them asking for lessons, or wanting to put in an order.

Try - you've very little to lose.
Patty
Patricia Thornton
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:33 pm

U could try this;
Citric acis is cheap (8$/lb from home brewing store) and rennet is generally available from the supermarket.
-------------
Recipe below: Alterations I made were 4L of milk, extra 10mins needed for clean break, carefully and slowly rotated colander during the draining period to remove whey. Used microwave for times specified and kneaded curds with the back of a stainless steel dessert spoon, tipping out whey as it was expelled.It took under a minute to change from a mass of hot curds to a smooth, squeeky ball of mozz. Quite dramatic.

1 gallon milk
1& 1/4 teaspoons citric acid powder
1/4 teaspoon liquid rennet or 1/8 rennet tablet
1/2 cup cool water, divided in half

Place the cool milk in a stainless or enamel pot. Dissolve the citric acid powder into 1/4 cup cool water and add to the milk. Stir well and bring the temperature of the milk to 88� F. Mix the rennet with the other 1/4 cup of cool water and stir into the milk for about 10 seconds. Allow the milk to set at 88� F for 15 minutes to coagulate.

The curds should be firm after 15 minutes. When you dip your finger into the curds, they should break cleanly over the finger, and whey should fill the depression where your finger has been. Cut into one-inch cubes and let rest for 10 minutes. Then place the pot of curds into a sink of very hot water and slowly bring the temperature up to 108� F. Curds will shrink during this process. Keep the curds at 108� F for 35 minutes. Drain curds into a colander for 15 minutes.

Microwave method
Break up a cupful of curds into a microwave-safe plate or bowl. Add salt to taste. I like about 1/2 teaspoon of salt per pound of cheese, which equals 1/4 teaspoon per cup.

Place the curds into the microwave and heat on high for 50 seconds. Take out and work the cheese with the back of a spoon, much like kneading the cheese. Place the cheese back into the microwave and heat on high for another 25 seconds. Remove from microwave and again work with a spoon to stretch and shape the cheese. It will become opaque and shiny. Wrap in plastic or freeze for later use. Will keep about two weeks in the refrigerator.

Stovetop method
You can use either hot water or whey saved from draining the curds. Use a double boiler method

Heat the water or whey to 150� to 155� F, then place the curds (which by now have formed into a mass) back into the hot liquid. Work quickly, as it doesn�t take long in the hot liquid before the curds melt together and become stretchy. This is an amazing process that happens very quickly.

Use a large slotted and large regular spoon and bring the curd up out of the liquid, pulling and stretching it like taffy. You can use your hands or the spoons to stretch the cheese. Shape into balls and place into a brine solution for 10 to 30 minutes, depending on how salty you like your cheese. Remove from brine and pat dry or air dry. Refrigerate cheese for up to two weeks. Freeze for longer storage.
-------------
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Return to Hard Cheese Making