Am I on the right track?

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Am I on the right track?

Postby marcopolo41 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:53 am

Hi All,

Brand new to this forum so thought i'd ask and see if anyone can give me some insight/ tips on best ways forward.

Been making sausages a while but have given salami a crack recently. Had a look around and considering an impossibility due to environmental constraints at home, to try set up a curing chamber using a wine cooler.

Found one for 100 odd dollars (AUD) and can maintain temp around 10-14 degrees Celsius. After flicking around the web it seems this is a good temp to cure, but am worried about the humidity levels. Bought a thermometer to see where its at in there, should be arriving in a few days, but here they are around 2 weeks in.

Worried about the mould forming? Should I be worrying about it? Didn't use a mould culture (stupidly found this forum after i started) Heard that white mould is good but wasn't sure so thought i'd ask others, doesn't look dark in colour at all.

Also in the way of curing set ups using wine fridges does anyone have any tips? Was thinking about purchasing a humidifier to use in there too but not sure if its a necessity/ will burn through electricity.

Thoughts and tips are greatly appreciated!

Let me know if I should turf the lot and start again!

Thanks
marcopolo41
Registered Member

Re: Am I on the right track?

Postby johngaltsmotor » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:32 pm

White powdery molds are normally good. It's hard to tell from the picture if it's powdery or fuzzy.
Most refrigerators will end up having too high of humidity at least initially. Without opening the door frequently or having a fan to vent air the sausage will quickly release enough moisture to raise the humidity in the refrigerator.
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:16 pm

Hi marcopolo41, welcome.

The 'good' white powdery mould often starts as a fuzzy mould, so I'd wait and see how it develops.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby marcopolo41 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:15 am

Thanks for the responses!

Do you recommend I open the fridge door for an hour or so a day to let the air circulate a little more?

Looking at setting up a proper curing fridge in the coming months but wanted to give it a try first.

Waiting on this digital thermometer so I can see where the RH is at in there!
marcopolo41
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:12 pm

If the temperature's OK, I'd just open the door for a minute or so in passing a few times a day.

...and now's the delicate bit, 'cos I don't want to upset my new antipodean friend - :lol: - but I'm guessing that what you've bought is a hygrometer? Or, a hygrometer/thermometer? Anyway, it's something that'll give you an idea of the RH, not just the temperature?

Hopefully, it'll arrive soon.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby marcopolo41 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:34 am

wheels wrote:If the temperature's OK, I'd just open the door for a minute or so in passing a few times a day.

...and now's the delicate bit, 'cos I don't want to upset my new antipodean friend - :lol: - but I'm guessing that what you've bought is a hygrometer? Or, a hygrometer/thermometer? Anyway, it's something that'll give you an idea of the RH, not just the temperature?

Hopefully, it'll arrive soon.

Phil

Yep!

Sure did Phil, will be arriving tomorrow.

Guessing the mould grew quickly because the humidity has been too high in there. Cracked the door about a centimetre and letting it run like that, noticing they're drying a little more now which is good too!

Will definitely inoculate next time to get some good mould happening I think, but hopefully they turn out okay!

Thanks for your help
marcopolo41
Registered Member

Postby larry » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:55 pm

Wine fridges are all different. Some have compressors and some don't. Once you measure the humidity, you'll know what you have to do. The external temperature and humidity also have an impact on wine fridge performance. I have mine in a basement and in the spring, summer and fall, when the basement temp is liveable, the fridge is perfect for temp and humidity. In the winter, when I keep the basement cold, it is harder to keep the humidity in the fridge high enough. If your ambient temperature varies through the year, keep track of your humidity readings on a calendar so you can adjust them as needed and anticipate that need.

I open the door to mine whenever I let the dogs out, since my fridge is right by the basement door.
larry
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques