Fermentation Temp Drop

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Fermentation Temp Drop

Postby MmmmPork » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:02 am

Have tried a quick search, but can't find a simple answer to my query:

Just started a batch of fennel salami. Used F-LC as a starter. Hung them in my chamber to ferment at 75 degrees 90% humidity. After 12 hours a nameless family member plugged in the fridge (they were paranoid having previously ruined a batch of chorizo by accidentally knocking the plug out at the end of drying stage), thus causing the temperature to drop to c.60F for about 8 hours. Returned the conditions to 75F/90% and left for further 48 hours. At this stage I cut into a test batch - good consistent pink color, no untoward smells, pH in the 5 range (I am not confident in the test strips though). They also had an incredible covering of mold (applied bactoferm 600 at 0 and 24 hrs). My inclination is that the temp drop would inhibit all bacteria, not just good, so probably no harm done - anyone had a similar expience or any sage advice? Also, have other seen such rapid mold growth with 600?

Thanks - great forum BTW.[/img]
MmmmPork
Newly Registered

Postby herjac » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:47 pm

I couldn't access your photo but it doesn't sound like anything went wrong with the ferment if the pH is down to 5 and the smell is good. Mold 600 likes higher temperature and humidity so nothing unusual there with your results. :D

Herb
herjac
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques